Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change observations / 3500 miles / 3rd oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 09:19 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil change observations / 3500 miles / 3rd oil change

Went to install the pluming for my oil psi and temp gauges and install the preimum oil cooler. Thourouly cleaned the drain pan, drained out all the Syn3. Noticed when dumping the oil in my waste can, the bottom of the oil was looking like one of those pans that you just struck it rich on panning for gold. All kinds of shimmering gritty particals. Resembled metal flake paint in motion. I know this to an extent is normal, I just didn't think that this much was right. I've kept the oil level up and this is the 3rd change in 3500 miles, since new. This oil bearly had 1500 miles on it.

Any one else experiance this much?

I would have thought to take a picture of it before draining but had it in a black pan. Didn't think that the contrast would have shown much. Will drain next with white porceline pan and take a picture.

All that I can say is if your running a new one and if this is a real common occurance, its a good reason to keep changing your oil regular and using a good filter, and not just during brake in periods.

Old 05-28-2006, 10:25 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Oil change observations / 3500 miles / 3rd oil change

Damn, now you're scaring me! While I know it not smart, I’ve got close to 7,000 on my last change! At my 10 service I changed to syn3 and put on new tires. Since then I’ve been on the road and did not want to stop for a change figuring I catch it at the 15K service. Now I’m close to 2K past. I’ll get it in next week but I still have some riding to do this weekend.

If I have 3 quarts and a filter I could do it myself and see what mine looks like.

Oh well, it’s only money and I’ve been thinking of going to a 95 and putting in Timken bearing. Maybe now I’ll have to!

Old 05-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I know there is a kit you can buy to send in a sample of your oil to have it analyzed. That way you know exactly what is in your oil.
Sorry I don't have the link, but I think its in the oil section.

Btw..........I like your thought process on oil changes

Old 05-28-2006, 10:39 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

I know all the shinney stuff indicates wear and tear but how much is too much?
Maybe a magnetic drain plug or one of those oil filter magnets would help prevent all that ferrous mat'l from recercculating.

Old 05-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

I remember looking at the magnet on the drain plug and wanting to see something. It hardly had anything on it. (well other than oil)

I guess that stands to reason since more and more all the internals including the bearing inserts are turning into a blend of composite alloys to give the best break-in and wear. So I'm not surprised that the magnet didn't have anything stuck to it.

I'm still wondering why they even put a magnet in the drain plug with all the alloys that are non-magnetic, non-ferrous. I think it would only catch the steel from the cylinder wall if the rings and piston were scoring it to much.

Old 05-28-2006, 12:18 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: zubaugh

Damn, now you're scaring me! While I know it not smart, I’ve got close to 7,000 on my last change! At my 10 service I changed to syn3 and put on new tires. Since then I’ve been on the road and did not want to stop for a change figuring I catch it at the 15K service. Now I’m close to 2K past. I’ll get it in next week but I still have some riding to do this weekend.

If I have 3 quarts and a filter I could do it myself and see what mine looks like.

Oh well, it’s only money and I’ve been thinking of going to a 95 and putting in Timken bearing. Maybe now I’ll have to!

I don't know if you have much to worry about since yours is pretty well broken-in at this point. Mines still quite new in the scheme of things and prolly still not totally broken-in yet! Well thats the story that I'm telling myself at this point! Will give it another 1000 miles and then pull a sample and send it off to see if anything alarming is in the results!

It should be ok, I've only seen this stuff going on with my other vehicle engines when new only a couple of oil changes.

The stuff that came out of my CTD when I did that first oil change was really frightining, I'd never seen sooty oil before that from a diesel.

But the prospect of running a 95 is interesting more power!!

Old 05-28-2006, 01:43 PM
BladeMan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did my first oil change on my SG (944 miles). When I dumped the oil out of the pan, it looked as if I had been panning for gold. It looks like the oil filter should have picked up the particles.

Old 05-28-2006, 02:02 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't know where the oil pump inlet is, so I can't say for sure that the filter should have filtered all that mess out. It could be since the engine is a dry sump designe that the stuff is made to collect in the bottom of the oil pan area and not ever hit anything else! ?

Old 05-28-2006, 03:31 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, the 95 is in the Radar! Especially with the miles I'm cranking. I just hope the cam chain holds on! They'll replace that with a gear when I go up. I'm getting 75HP now and the 95 will get me between 104 and 109. Yea boy!
ORIGINAL: Ram

I don't know if you have much to worry about since yours is pretty well broken-in at this point. Mines still quite new in the scheme of things and prolly still not totally broken-in yet! Well thats the story that I'm telling myself at this point! Will give it another 1000 miles and then pull a sample and send it off to see if anything alarming is in the results!

It should be ok, I've only seen this stuff going on with my other vehicle engines when new only a couple of oil changes.

The stuff that came out of my CTD when I did that first oil change was really frightining, I'd never seen sooty oil before that from a diesel.

But the prospect of running a 95 is interesting more power!!

Old 05-28-2006, 07:20 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: zubaugh

Yeah, the 95 is in the Radar! Especially with the miles I'm cranking. I just hope the cam chain holds on! They'll replace that with a gear when I go up. I'm getting 75HP now and the 95 will get me between 104 and 109. Yea boy!
ORIGINAL: Ram

You're gonna have to do a little more than a 95 and gear drive cams to get those kind of numbers[:-]

Quick Reply: Oil change observations / 3500 miles / 3rd oil change