Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Best amp for the money!!!! (49.00) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/379022-best-amp-for-the-money-49-00-a.html)

limj23 08-08-2009 05:59 PM

Best amp for the money!!!! (49.00)

3 Attachment(s)
Okay guys (especially you Brandy) check this out before buying the hogtunes, arc or any other plug n play amp setup. I went with the 6.5 inch speaker adapters setup with a set of kenwood 2ohm components (separate tweeters installed on the dash no need for hogtunes bs tweeter pod). Although its not plug n play its very very easy, front outs from factory speakers go into this amps high level inputs and tap any 12v source (fuel gauge, back lighting, etc) for the amps power lead on. I ran the positive to the batt under the tank panel so no need to remove or lift the tank (follow the other cables that are run there as well). You can ground alot of botls insde the faring but I found a ground cable from the factory hanging in there (2009 ultra). as you can see in the pics its a perfect fit and i used simple velcro straps to attach it to the stock radio and it holds really well. dont fall for the 500+ radio kits this setup is great and the cost is below. A fyi just make sure to run a inline 25amp fuse from the postive batt cable to the amp and this little amp is 2ohm stable, unbelievable for 50 bucks!!

adapter bracket = $50.00 (ebay)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...Q5fAccessories

amp = $49.00
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=21023

speakers = $105.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/KENWOOD-KFC-X171...d=p3286.c0.m14

Hammer107 08-08-2009 06:08 PM

A google search for product reviews on this amp returns very mixed results. I would tend to fall on the side of you get what you pay for.

YMMV.

vertigo14 08-08-2009 07:44 PM

Hog Tunes BS Hog Pod? wtf would you say that?

I'll stick to my ARC amp and FD 6000 speakers and HogPod

limj23 08-08-2009 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by vertigo14 (Post 5397460)
Hog Tunes BS Hog Pod? wtf would you say that?

I'll stick to my ARC amp and FD 6000 speakers and HogPod

cause im trying to save folks some money. are you kidding over 125 dollars for a set of tweeters???? Thats the BS im talking about, why not just buy a set of 5.25 components that upgrade the stock speakers with separate tweets that mount on the dash for the same money??

backdoc_rider 08-08-2009 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by limj23 (Post 5397551)
cause im trying to save folks some money. are you kidding over 125 dollars for a set of tweeters???? Thats the BS im talking about, why not just buy a set of 5.25 components that upgrade the stock speakers with separate tweets that mount on the dash for the same money??

I think it's commendable to try and offer folks a cheaper alternative, just don't badmouth a site sponsor (?) or at least a company that many hold in high regard while doing so.

vertigo14 08-08-2009 08:55 PM

HD Dash Pad = 150.00 ish dollars (does nothing but sit there and look pretty)
Hog Tunes Hog Pod = 160.00 ish dollars (looks exactly like the HD dash Pad with tweeters and crossovers built in.. with two types of speaker grill.)

There has always been cheep alternatives and from what you have pointed out you went that route. But you talking smack against a site sponsor's product (which is really good even for the money because it its not just two tweeters that come with some component system) who has helped hundreds of people on here with good sound systems.

AaronOregon 08-08-2009 09:39 PM

Thanks for advertising our adapter rings. Glad you are happy with them. As far as the amp goes.........I'm gonna go with about 2 months tops, but hey it's worth a shot for $50.

Aaron

lp 08-08-2009 09:51 PM

Aww man I likes my hogtunes bs tweeter pod(s).
Now I'm going to have to throw those peices of junk away and get down to walmart for some real cheap-o tunes!

It's all about saving money! :icon_goofygrin:

lp

fatguyona1000 08-08-2009 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by limj23 (Post 5397551)

You're missing the point, or atleast the advantage, of the Hogpod. With the tweeters directly beneath the windshield, the majority of the highs stay in the windpath of the rider therefore they are louder. Any highend components/amp combination are going to lose most of there volume in the wind coming over the edge of the batwings.

You can still go the cheap way and buy some tweeters and mount them directly below your windshield, but I don't think it would look as nice.

And Pez isn't a miracle worker, he's just a fair guy (and a really good person to do business with) that offers some better than stock speakers/amp at a fair price and an excellent Hogpod at a FAIR price.

Fatguy

Harleypingman 08-09-2009 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by fatguyona1000 (Post 5398394)
You're missing the point, or atleast the advantage, of the Hogpod. With the tweeters directly beneath the windshield, the majority of the highs stay in the windpath of the rider therefore they are louder. Any highend components/amp combination are going to lose most of there volume in the wind coming over the edge of the batwings.

You can still go the cheap way and buy some tweeters and mount them directly below your windshield, but I don't think it would look as nice.

And Pez isn't a miracle worker, he's just a fair guy (and a really good person to do business with) that offers some better than stock speakers/amp at a fair price and an excellent Hogpod at a FAIR price.

Fatguy

+1 for the Hog Pod. I like it on my bike for the sound and cosmetics; the tweeter alternatives I've seen either go where my fairing mounted mirrors are or bolt on in a way I don't care for--each to his own.

And thanks to the OP for the info, links to products, and alternative amp to provide lower cost alternatives.

Post some pics of the inner fairing when your install is complete.