Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Warning Light Staying On....Any Idea's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:53 AM
okieblue62
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ABS Warning Light Staying On....Any Idea's? UPDATE: They got it fixed

The ABS warning light stayed on today when I went for a ride on my '08 Ultra. I tried looking it up in my shop manual but it had zip as far as troubleshooting info for the ABS. Anybody got any idea's on what might be the cause?

The bikes got 18,000 miles on it, surely a speed sensor hasn't gone bad already or an ABS module. Any help would be much appreciated.

Update: It took 2 days at the dealer to trace the problem but its fixed now. Turned out to be a broken wire under the gas tank. Luckily I had one more month of factory warranty left, so it was no charge to fix it.

Last edited by okieblue62; 08-13-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Road King Lucca
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my ABS DVD for my 09 says if light stays on there is a problem and the brakes are in non ABS mode.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:48 AM
philgrocks
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the fuse for the ABS. Besides that it will require a trip to the dealer...

Old 08-09-2009, 03:40 PM
okieblue62
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by philgrocks
Check the fuse for the ABS. Besides that it will require a trip to the dealer...
Modern technology.....Gotta love it.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:47 PM
FLSTC07
6th Gear

Check your codes and that might help pinpoint the problem. Mine went on and it was a pinched wire on the left hand side near the steering grease zerk. It was in the wire just above the plug in for the front ABS. I took it to the dealer and let the warranty take care of it.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:51 PM
rhaneski
Cruiser

08 ultra same thing happened to me. Front speed sensor was bad at somewhere around 7K

Old 08-09-2009, 08:05 PM
cegusa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealt with this same issue a few weeks ago out of the blue as well. The dealer found a broken wire in the loom on the left side just behind the the steering neck. It was indicating a front sensor was inop but actually was a wire in one of the looms. From what I was told, this is not an uncommon problem and seems to always be in the same vicinity in the loom.

Hope this helps....

Old 08-09-2009, 08:13 PM
kwb
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your wheels and tires for any debris, dirt, ect.... I heard it can effect the speed sensor / ABS.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:42 PM
neano62
Tourer

Originally Posted by rhaneski
08 ultra same thing happened to me. Front speed sensor was bad at somewhere around 7K
If this guy had a problem at 7K, yours is staying on at 18K, this mite be something we all need to be look-n for at any time! At least the Riders with ABS.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:11 AM
n3247w
Stage II
Default Crashed because of the same broken wire

I purchased my 2010 flhxse about 6 weeks ago and I have put 3000 miles on it. When I purchased it the light was on and stayed on. I was told that was normal and I had it in to my local dealer for unrelated warranty work and had several of them ride it and even took it back fora noise when braking hard but no problem found. The next day I took it to another dealer for a dyno tune and had them ride it to ck the brakes out. They asured me some bikes do make the noise but usually on police modles bthe tech caught me in the parking lot and said he forgot to clear the abs code so he cleared it but the light was back on when I hit the hiway. I went about 20 miles down the road and there was a head on colision in front of me. I hit both brakes as hard as I could but was unable to completely stop befor being hit by the car in front of me and throwing me over a suv destroying my arm and face. If it would have stopped 3 ft shorter it would have been avoided. I was inspecting the bike and removed the front fairing to find the abs wire broken but not in a place caused by the impact. It was near the rear part of the steering about an inch and half from the connector. If this had been repaired the colision would have been avoided. Harley needs a recal and fast to prevent this from happening to someone else.

Quick Reply: ABS Warning Light Staying On....Any Idea's?