Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have a center stand on an Ultra?

Old 08-14-2009, 03:14 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

I have the Wheeldock and I like it, it has touched once. Not a true center stand like your used to coming from a Wing, its a ride off stand and to get the rear wheel off the ground you will have to place a piece of wood under the stand. This is what I like about it:

Pros

Less space used in the garage
Easier to work on the bike
Cleaning the rims is easy, 1x6 piece of wood under the stand
Sitting on the bike is nicer (waiting for the wfe, supermarket shopping)
Easy to get on the stand
09 Models one bolt to take on or off

Cons

Some have had their bike roll off the stand
Can touch down in a hard turn, or speed bumps

I'm glad I have it and like you my bikes for the last 25+ years had center stands.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:46 PM
oldbagr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Wheeldock center stand on my '09 Ultra and love it. I leave the bike on the center stand whenever it is in the garage and have had no problems with the bike coming off the stand... and I use the stand whenever I work on my bike.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:48 PM
tubby220
Road Master

I find the jiffy stand scarey enough! It apears that the wheeldock system isn't too good either. I'll carry on using my American2 bike lift for all those important jobs.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:55 PM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the HD center stand on my 08 Ultra. My previous bike was a Goldwing. When the Goldwing was placed on the center stand, you could add a little weight to the back end and lift the front wheel off the ground. Likewise adding weight to the front end lifted the back wheel off the ground. Not so on the Ultra. When the ultra is placed on the HD center stand, the rear wheel is off the ground, but due to placement, the front is not, even if you add weight to the rear of the motorcycle. It still makes checking and adjusting tire pressure much easier than on the jiffy stand.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:39 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do Not buy the Harley unit. I did.
Now I have a Wheeldock. Works easy as pie.
I have a lift jack as well and it works with it.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:50 PM
RodFarmer
Advanced

Thanks for all the input. I'll think I will get a center stand. It has to make checking air in the rear tire easier, plus cleaning the bike would be easier. There doesn't seem to be much I have to add to the Limited, it has everything I wanted and then some. I added highway pegs, an HD alarm for the security system, and LED brake and running lights. A cover, manual and an air pump, and I'm good to go. The center stand and maybe bag rails they didn't put on the limited is about all I have left that I want.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:38 PM
mile high king
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the HD factory center stand. Some others have the wheeldock plus I think there is a rivco but I don't see as many posts on that one. Between the HD and wheeldock, they are somewhat different. The HD is a center-stand like most are used to on Wings/BMW/etc. in that it is made to be able to lift the rear wheel off the ground if adjusted to do so. It tucks up tightly out of the way so that it never touches down in corners. Plus it is nicely finished in chrome. It is very stable and the bike will not roll off the stand. It is a pain to install however, and you need to be off the bike to put it up on the center-stand. The wheeldock isn't adjustable and doesn't lift the rear wheel of the ground. It has been known to touch down in some corners, and has been reported to roll off the stand by some posters here. It's advantage is a longer lever and the ability to put the bike on/off the stand from the riding position. Decide how you want to use your stand and make your pick. Owners are happy with both for the different reasons I listed above.

Originally Posted by RodFarmer
I just bought my first Harley, an Ultra Limited. As a long time GoldWing Rider, I am used to having a center stand, and even put one on my Valkyrie.
Are there any disadvantages to putting a center stand on an Ultra? I don’t want to spend $300 dollars on something I wouldn’t like.
I do have a motorcycle jack, so I could live without a center stand.

Last edited by mile high king; 08-14-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:16 PM
Readyt
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Ez-up and its awesome!
Stable and doesn't lift the wheel off the ground unless i put a board under it.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:38 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

I have the HD center stand on my 04 road glide.

I like it and it has been installed about 10 years

In all that time i have never dragged it or had it touch down in the corners

Ive replaced two sets of floorboards during that time due to them being worn down from dragging in the corners

So im pretty certain its difficult to drag the stand in the corner

It does lift the rear wheel and i like that about the stand. In addition unlike the EZ up it has two bolts one on each side that bolt to the frame so its not just bolting to the dog bone underneath the bike.

It's very stable and i use it exclusively at home when bike is parked vs the side stand. I use the side stand on the road as it works better on asphalt vs the center stand. The center stand has a tendency to dig into the asphalt making it difficult to get the bike back on the rear tire.

On the road i have used the center stand to make repairs and i can get the rear tire off the bike if i can get a 2 x 4 under the stand after adjusting the legs to provide for more clearance. Its not easy but in a pinch it can be done.

I use mine more often than not however its not for everyone. Its been so long since i purchased i do not know what it costs.

I prefer it over the EZ up.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:07 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

I had 'em a few years back. Liked the functionality, but didn't like the scraping that got me real nervous so I decided to take it off and sold it to a member here.

Thorey

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does anyone have a center stand on an Ultra?