Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Clutch gone BAD......

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 02:49 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Starter Clutch gone BAD......

Well my starter took a crap on me Friday after work. It turned over just enough to fire up the engine. When I got home I shut off the engine and try'd to restart and all I got was a spinning sound that sounded like an electric motor. I ended up pulling the starter out, to find that the starter clutch was not working. I ended up replacing the starter clutch with a new one.
I'm curious to know if anyone with the Big Bore and Higher compression engines have had the same problems with their stock starters. If so did you go with a Heavy duty starter? It only cost me $50.00 for the new Starter Clutch and two hours of my time. So I didn't get hurt to bad. I may consider going with a Heavy duty one if this become a annual replacement item. I hope to here some feedback here.......

Old 06-06-2006, 04:49 PM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Starter Clutch gone BAD......

I have 8k miles on my high compression, big bore motor. I use my compression releases everytime and have had no problems.

Old 06-06-2006, 05:41 PM
103FLHX
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got mine replaced today. Left me stranded Saturday. Much better now. In retrospect it was giving warning over last few weeks, but I did not pay attention.

Apparently HD has changed this part, so I suspect there were problems.

103[sm=biker.gif]

Old 06-06-2006, 05:47 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 103FLHX

Got mine replaced today. Left me stranded Saturday. Much better now. In retrospect it was giving warning over last few weeks, but I did not pay attention.

Apparently HD has changed this part, so I suspect there were problems.

103[sm=biker.gif]

Did you end up going with Heavy Duty starter ? Or did you just replace the starter Clutch?
Mine was starting to give me problems about a week before it went out also.

Old 06-06-2006, 05:51 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

It happened to me numerous times! I have mentioned it in this forum several times when people ask about high compression..... funny nobody has talked much about it. I only had 10.2:1, with compression releases. But I swear it got to the point that I worried every time I started my bike! I tried the Compufire Gen II "Hi-Torque" starter and the reduced ratio ring & pinion gear set but all it takes is the bike to "kick back" one time during a start & and the starter clutch was a time bomb! I can replave a starter clutch on a touring bike in an hour, start to finish.... but it's only because I had to do it so freak'n many times.

It never happend less than 500 miles from home either! However, I was lucky... it was not EFI, so I could push start it....

I do have a solution..... As much as I loved that bike and it was a ROCKET... it's gone, and so is "high-compression" from any HD I EVER own again. My new ride has only 9.7:1 CR and NO COMPRESSION RELEASES!!!! . It has 100/100.... and it starts every time!

Dude I KNOW your pain!

I recently had someone mention that the Terry Components starter clutch is "supposed to be" way better than the Tawianese units you get from HD....

Good Luck!

Old 06-06-2006, 05:57 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 100thRK

I have 8k miles on my high compression, big bore motor. I use my compression releases everytime and have had no problems.

I don't have the compression release on my heads, I wish I did now.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:00 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 04RoadKing

ORIGINAL: 100thRK

I don't have the compression release on my heads, I wish I did now.

Better yet, find a way to get your engine BELOW 10:1 and you will not have to worry about it!

THere are plenty of combinations to get great power w/o having to go high compression.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:22 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: PhilM

It happened to me numerous times! I have mentioned it in this forum several times when people ask about high compression..... funny nobody has talked much about it. I only had 10.2:1, with compression releases. But I swear it got to the point that I worried every time I started my bike! I tried the Compufire Gen II "Hi-Torque" starter and the reduced ratio ring & pinion gear set but all it takes is the bike to "kick back" one time during a start & and the starter clutch was a time bomb! I can replave a starter clutch on a touring bike in an hour, start to finish.... but it's only because I had to do it so freak'n many times.

It never happend less than 500 miles from home either! However, I was lucky... it was not EFI, so I could push start it....

I do have a solution..... As much as I loved that bike and it was a ROCKET... it's gone, and so is "high-compression" from any HD I EVER own again. My new ride has only 9.7:1 CR and NO COMPRESSION RELEASES!!!! . It has 100/100.... and it starts every time!

Dude I KNOW your pain!

I recently had someone mention that the Terry Components starter clutch is "supposed to be" way better than the Tawianese units you get from HD....

Good Luck!

I guess I will just keep on replacing it as needed with the $50.00 one, and not replace the starter with the high dollor Terry components starters that cost $300.00-$400.00. Hell I might as well go pick one up tonight and have it in the tool box ready to go.
Great PhilM now I have to be worreid about it.[sm=headbang.gif]I here you on the kick back thing, mine has done that several times. Well I guess I will end up getting alot quiker at swaping out the starter clutch. It took me 2 Hour on Saturday I'm sure I could shave off at least 20-30min next time

Old 06-06-2006, 06:39 PM
103FLHX
Road Master

I have a High Torque starter.

I just replaced the starter clutch.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:04 PM
02glide
Novice

Where are these $50 strarter clutches? Dealer quote was $113.

Quick Reply: Starter Clutch gone BAD......