Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin Cam 88 remanufacture program

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 06:52 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by modes
I can only imagine what you r reaction would be when you installed the rebuilt motor from harley just to have it still tick with the only thing change is the amount of your hard earned money you have left.

Adam
Dito.

As far as I know, all replacement parts like the cam plate, etc., are discarded and replaced with stock units.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:02 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 850 Likes on 412 Posts

With nearly 100,000 miles on my modestly modified 2000 FLHTCI, I agree that 67,000 is way early for a re-build. Also, what you get back from HD after the re-build will be all stock HD stuff. Nothing new or unique that you've added will be returned. In this sense, the re-build is kind of a misnomer. What you get is a re-built engine, not necessarily your engine re-built.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:10 AM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You get, from what I understand a brand new, stock motor with identicle #'s as your old one, matching your frame. You're talking about a 95 in. kit, rebuild your motor, bump it up to 95 in. Keep many of the other performance upgrades you've done. If it solves your noise issues, great. If it doesn't, at least you get more displacement. I rode a buddies FLHTCU with the 95 kit, WOW, a lot harder pulling motor than my 88, even with my 203 cams and breathers and pipes.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Scooter_092196
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are simply worried about not having the funds at a later date, put the money in a CD and let it grow interest. Drive her till she blows. You'll be surprised how long she'll run. Then when she blows, you'll just have to cash in the CD. Problem solved. If you're that worried about the noise, have a mechanic take a listen and tell you, it's normal. It's a harley, learn to live with the noises. Hell, I'm paranoid about mine here and there. Some days she seems louder than others (probably all in my head thou)...

Last edited by Scooter_092196; 08-24-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Dennis Murawski
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 120k on my '93 FLHS and was waiting for the eventual "Big Bang" day, but it never happened. I sold it when I bought my 2007 FLHT and the guy that bought it is still running it just fine. But knowing that you could use the remanufacturing program stopped me from obsessing about motor noises, vibrations, etc. Even though I never used it, it gave me peace of mind while running down the road with senior mileage on the scoot.

OBTW, I heard a rumor that with the financial problems Harley is facing, there was some talk about out-sourcing this program. That would be a shame, because now the remanufacturing is done on the actual production jigs and rigs by people that have been doing this for years. Going with the low cost bidder, if it happens, would scare me a lot.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:52 AM
jdreed520
Road Warrior

The twincam makes some top end noise..you just get used to it....but if you are hearing lifter noise then re-adjust your pushrods after it all warms up and see if it get some less noise. I had to adjust my pushrods 3 times to get the noise level where i could stand it...I think 67k is not very many miles.....i would not do the rebuild program yet...maybe at 167k...Just my .02

Old 08-24-2009, 12:23 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

You can pull the jugs and pistons off and do a ring job & cyl. hone while you're in there without doing an engine reman.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:32 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't express enuff gratitude for all the great responses. You've given me lots to think about. Yes, that was another option to do the top end upgrade myself, but with all the chrome which would be replaced by HD and something I only mentioned in another thread is that my crank shaft is showing .003" runout which is keeping me from installing gear drive cams at this time.

If I do the build myself, my obsessive disorders would make me feel obligated to have the crank trued/balanced. In some ways I'd be saving time/hassle by doing the reman upgrade, but could actually spend about the same amount of cash considering all that the ol' 99 would be proud of. Chrome cover packages run close to $800, gaskets around $99, big bore kits near $500, etc. Considering all this, it could be a toss-up over which would be more economical so as yet, I am still undecided.

And YES I do agree that I am contemplating the rebuild early, I could ride the bike possibly a good 3-4 more years without it, but since I have a personal distaste for repulsive braggarts, I like what I build/ride to do my bragging for me. It may be dirty, and it may look like a rat bike, but DAMN! doesn't it sound good?(My therapist would have a good arguement for extending our sessions if he were to read this thread!) In fact, I need to get my hands off this keyboard. I believe this box I'm writing in says "Quick Reply".

Last edited by CroK; 08-24-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:31 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I will give you the cheapest way to cure about 80% of the upper end noise. Go buy 4 quarts of Valvoline VR1 straight 50 weight oil. It sounds too easy but it just flat works for quieting these mechanical beasts down. Most scuff but the ones that actually try it agree it works. Heck it only cost you about 12-16 bucks to try.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:36 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mtclassic
I will give you the cheapest way to cure about 80% of the upper end noise. Go buy 4 quarts of Valvoline VR1 straight 50 weight oil. It sounds too easy but it just flat works for quieting these mechanical beasts down. Most scuff but the ones that actually try it agree it works. Heck it only cost you about 12-16 bucks to try.
That was going to be my next question was what oil is he running?

Quick Reply: Twin Cam 88 remanufacture program