Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I the only one.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:53 PM
DeadLevel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I the only one.....

that has ever hopped on their bike after a few short days ago enjoying a great, all day long ride only to find that you now are straddling Mr. Hyde?? WTF!!??
Two weeks ago I rode the Cherohala Skyway twice in three days, and had a phenomenal ride each time. Last week I did some normal, quick local runs and experienced the same feelings of being in tune with my machine. "Shook" was running well, everything felt solid, she was riding like a dream and everything sounded like it should. Then, this last Sunday comes along. I'm out of the house early in the morning w/o any one to ride with and no particular place to go. Only thing is I need to be home by 4pm. Should be a great day, right?
Well, less than 5 miles from home I'm feeling every bump in the road, wiggle from any pavement gouges and hearing things I don't normally hear. Excessive lifter noise, disc brake drag, and other unexplainable noises. While riding in a straight line I feel the bike start to wander like what's been described as a trait in most of the '08 models where the back end wants to be seperate from the bike (I did stop and give everything a once over, but could not find anything wrong). Not believing what's happening, I turn up the stereo, twist the wick and hit the mountains in an effort to shake off what's happening. None of the mystery sounds and feelings get better in the twisties, but they don't get worse either. I ride for about a little better than a tank of fuel before arriving back home, all the while trying to shake off the poltergeist obviously along for the ride. I tell the better half that I felt disconnected today on the ride and can't figure for the life of me what it was.
So today, with the pre-ride ritual completed, I hop on "Shook" for a quick 50 mile ride on an errand. Well, it's like I got the ol' girl back!!! She floats along effortlessly, singing thru the duals and feeling like normal. I get home and do the final walk around before putting her back into the normal parking space all the while scratching my head, wondering, AGAIN, WTF!!?? I can't explain it. Guess I should not even search for an explanation, but surely I can't be the only one this, or a similar situation, has ever happened to.
I think I'll be ordering one of those Gremlin, or Guardian Angel, or whatever those kinda bells are called.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:01 PM
Ogre3239
Tourer

Maybe she just wanted a rest after the hard ridding. Strange things have happened to me over the years that cant be explained or found by a mechanic. Just watch to see if it happens again.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Ogre3239
Tourer

or just the opposite, she is pissed at you for putting her away for 2 weeks after letting her run wild.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:16 PM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah,sometimes I get a feeling that my bike is running great and other times it's like it needs a tune up or something. I can't explain it,but it does happen.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:27 PM
simsjam
Cruiser

Make sure your gremlin bell is attached. You my be picking up the little buggers. It works best if someone gives it to you from what I read. I need one the size of a cowbell lately!

Old 08-25-2009, 11:39 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Happened to me awhile ago, seemed the idle vibration was rougher. Now she seems fine.

Hope Old Blue didn't hear that.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:41 PM
hellmut73
Cruiser

I feel your pain. Happens to me alll the time on my '08 Ultra. One day great. Next day I am going to sell the POS. Who knows. I have experienced everything you described.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:46 PM
ezryder62881
Tourer

Yep--thought I was the only one losing my mind. Been there.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:52 PM
1HarleyGuy1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have had the exact same experience. I think now that it's just a combination of your mood, the weather (yes, sounds change with different weather) and just not being in the "moment".
Just keep checking the important stuff (brakes, cables etc) and I bet all will be good for you and "Shook"

1HarleyGuy1

Old 08-26-2009, 12:00 AM
ktombs1
Intermediate

I think its a personal thing. Your either in the groove or your not, one thing triggers it and then everything else follows. I get it when I drive my cages as well, its sort of like a relaxation thing. Also you mentioned " where to go" that right there will trigger it cause of the lack of direction. Its weird but happens all the time.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one.....