Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Satellite Radio Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by backdoc_rider
Don't use the aux port. Get the FM wired connection that connects to the fm antenna in back of the radio.
That's what I'm going to do. I just ordered my Sirius radio setup for my bike. I'll be using this to wire it in.

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...dParentID=7872

Old 08-26-2009, 02:39 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

IMO the sound quality sucks via XM. I love it in my truck but I was very disappointed with it in the bike. The MP3's IMO are the way to go. Save the rest of the hassle and money for more useful additions.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:15 AM
harleygeezer
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
That's what I'm going to do. I just ordered my Sirius radio setup for my bike. I'll be using this to wire it in.
I really like the looks of your back rest. What part# is it? Also, how well do you like it?

Old 08-27-2009, 05:51 AM
backdoc_rider
Tourer

Originally Posted by todd-67
IMO the sound quality sucks via XM. I love it in my truck but I was very disappointed with it in the bike. The MP3's IMO are the way to go. Save the rest of the hassle and money for more useful additions.
If you think you can hear the sound quality difference on a bike rolling down the highway at 70mph I think you're nuts. Or else you had a significant problem with your installation. The sound quality is not bad at all if you go via the direct wired FM route.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:52 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

If you think you can hear the sound quality difference on a bike rolling down the highway at 70mph I think you're nuts. Or else you had a significant problem with your installation. The sound quality is not bad at all if you go via the direct wired FM route.
The biggest problem is the volume differences between Sat radio and CD's FM or MP3's. Unless you are running an amp you have to turn the volume up to the point of getting clipping to hear it at 70mph.

Maybe it's different using the FM in on the HK's than it is on the aftermarket radios and the GM systems in my truck.

The other issue I had was getting reception. With the antenna in the faring I had significant signal drop issues. Moving it outside the faring on my GPS bracket cured that but I am not crazy about the looks of it.

After messing with it for a while on the bike I just formed the opinion that I was better off with the MP3 player. In Hind sight I would save my money and spend it on other things more useful. YMMV

Old 08-27-2009, 07:13 AM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

Most people don't listen just at 70 mph. It's a fact the sound quality is not as good when you FM modulate. The AUX input is the best quality sound.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:50 AM
paco ritter
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Harley Road Tech XM radio receiver mounted on my left handle bar mount just as HD designed it. It's water proof, reasonably theft resistant as it's bolted on ,not just "attached". I never take it off, never fool with it. Has worked flawlessly for about a year and a half so far. I have the hook up wire routed across the bottom face of the HK radio system and stuck onto the face with two sided taped. Black wire almost blends in and is virtually unseen. I plugged it into the aux. inlet on the HK radio, everything works great. Power source is with a "cigar lighter" type plug in I put on the left side of the fairing You could actually hard wire it in to keep this plug recepatcle free for other things since removal of the XM receiver is not really something you will be doing. Only negative I can hear is the volume of running thru the Aux input is not as loud as the regular radio or CD volume. Not a big deal, but some less volume can be expected. Solution is: turn up the volume.....

Old 08-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jgsmithjr
I really like the looks of your back rest. What part# is it? Also, how well do you like it?
Hi JG,

The part number is 52423-09A. It's the Comfort Stitch Style Adjustable Backrest and I like it a lot. I had rented an 08 Ultra before purchasing my 09 model and after 3 days and 1100 miles, I knew I'd want a drivers backrest so I had the dealer install it before delivery. It's adjustable fore and aft as well as up and down a little. It's well worth the money IMO!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:50 PM
FFLETCHER
Intermediate

So the Road Tech Satellitte radio plugs into the aux. on your HK and the cigarette lighter
for the power source. A basic plug and play system....is the antena self contained in the radio??

Old 08-27-2009, 07:39 PM
jim76hd
Novice

i used soom heavy duty nylon type hook and loop fastener and stuck it on my inner fairing then i can still use itin my car

Quick Reply: Satellite Radio Suggestions