Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Satellite Radio Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 07:49 PM
cruise_carter
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

I use the Pioneer Inno, bought an extra car kit and mounted it on the inside wall of the tourpak. Put the HD accessory plug in the tourpak wired to the ACC switch in the fairing. Just mounted the antenna inside the tourpak, it sits with the magnet or I use velcro. When I drop the Inno into the cradle, I just wrap a couple of rubber bands around it and the cradle to hold it in place.

I use the FM modulator, works well for me using the Hogtunes amp with stock radio. I only listen to the 70's so I don't need to change channels, can do it when stopped for a break if I need to.

Reception inside the tourpak with the antenna is suprisingly good.
Just how I did it...

Attached Thumbnails Satellite Radio Suggestions-xmradio.jpg  
Old 08-27-2009, 09:09 PM
dogpig66
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't feel like forking over $500+ dollars to HD for their XM kit, nor did I even think about giving them $250 for their Road Tech handlebar XM kit.

I got a Pioneer xmp3 portable XM receiver for $150 at Best Buy and bought a RAM mount for my handlebars for about $50. I then bought a spare car kit off of ebay, so when its not on my bike, its in my car or at home. If I'm gonna pay $12 a month for satellite radio, I want to get my money's worth.

It installed very clean and plugs into the AUX port. Sounds excellent... I just wish I would have done it sooner.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:19 PM
jntroese
Intermediate

What about on an Road King Classic, anybody have any recomendations, don't want a fairing so do they have anything to mount on the handle bars for speakers and everything?

Old 08-28-2009, 12:36 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by backdoc_rider
If you think you can hear the sound quality difference on a bike rolling down the highway at 70mph I think you're nuts. Or else you had a significant problem with your installation. The sound quality is not bad at all if you go via the direct wired FM route.
Not sure about the quality of the sound between the two vehicles but am sure the HD XM audio level is quiet less on the bike than the CD player or the stereo.

The HD XM is hard to hear even turned way up. I am not sure what the problem is but they need to fix it.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:38 AM
RodgerF
2nd Gear

dogpig66,

That's the same XM receiver I have. Which mount did you use, do you have any pics of your setup? Any trouble with vibration.

Thanks

Rodger

Old 08-28-2009, 04:59 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Used to run an XM Roady XT. But we bought a new vehicle a few months ago that had Sirius and a year free so I saw no sense in having two services. Canceled the XM and bought a Sirius Starmate 5 brand new for $39.99 with three months of prepaid service. Cool thing about the Starmate 5 is it can use the new $6.99 Al La Carte' feature so I don't have to pay for a bunch of channles I will never listen to.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:09 AM
scottdoege
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starmate for $39.99 ???

Monstermile, where did you get the starmate for $39.99 with three months prepaid service? That's a good deal?

Old 08-28-2009, 12:36 PM
paco ritter
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FFLETCHER
So the Road Tech Satellitte radio plugs into the aux. on your HK and the cigarette lighter
for the power source. A basic plug and play system....is the antena self contained in the radio??
yes, it's all plug and play. Antenna is mounted on top of a flat bracket that is made into the mount. Very easy, neat installation. Has worked for me for some time. At some point, I will upgrade to a Garmin 550 with GPS, XM, and Bluetooth all inclusive, get rid of the Road Tech XM and my Garmin 2610. But for now, it all works great.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:01 PM
sonic_cruzer
Novice

I have a sirius Stiletto 100 (so I can transfer between Bike/car/home) and mounted on the handlebar. Got the mounting kit from TSS Radio they have a lot of different stuff for MC and at a good price IMHO http://www.tss-radio.com/sirius-for-...les-c-387.html I really like the vehicle power hardware kit. Let me hardwire in the power and not suck up a power outlet that I need for my GPS.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:48 PM
dogpig66
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RodgerF
dogpig66,

That's the same XM receiver I have. Which mount did you use, do you have any pics of your setup? Any trouble with vibration.

Thanks

Rodger
It is made by Ram Mounts and is similar to this

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx

I thought it would vibrate, but it doesn't. I will try to post some pics for you. I am very happy with Ram Mounts, they are build tough!

Quick Reply: Satellite Radio Suggestions