Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frederick Harley says any non Harley oil will void my warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 07:07 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd find the GM's office and ask him it it's by his direction that the service department has their head so far up their *** that they can't see the light of day.
Then I'd ask him to produce something in writing that verifies their claim.
Then I'd leave that place, never to return.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:57 PM
2004Sierra
Road Master

It amazing that some dealers think the public is so stupid and uninformed.

If they will lie and try to decieve you over HD oils what else will they lie about?

The azzholes at this dealership obviously have never heard of the Magnuson-Moss act.

At my 1k service my dealer (service manager) ask if I wanted HD synthetic oils put in the bike.

I voiced my concern that I had heard there were better oils out there than the Harley synthetic oils. So I asked him what would he put in his bike.

He promptly said he would use Amsoil or Mobil 1 V-Twin in the engine and that he prefered Bel-Ray primary fluid and Bel-Ray Gear Saver for the trans.

They carried Amsoil and Bel-Ray at the parts counter, but were out of Amsoil engine oil. The parts manager drove all the way across town to get the Amsoil for my bike, at no extra charge, and on a Saturday. He was even apologizing for being out of the Amsoil.

There are good dealers out there, you just have to look for them.

Some dealers just don't get it.

Stay far away from those that don't, or they will screw you.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:10 PM
slickrick_58
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason you need MC specific oil is so you can use it in all the holes. It is blended with shear additives that keep it from coming apart in the transmission. Motor oils are not blended with these additives because they aren't intended to be used in transmissions. The Harley engine is a pushrod overhead valve engine like any other of the older design engines in American made cars. The regular motor oils, properly weighted, would do fine in a Harley but for one thing; air cooling. Air cooled engines potentially and do run hotter than water cooled engines. That is why you can run the CC rated deisel oils because they are rated for the extra duty required in an air cooled engine. Having said that, I am currently running Amsoil after trying both Harley syn and Mobil 1 V-Twin oil. My engine is stage 2 with 10.5:1 comp. and 5 seconds after putting in the Amsoil, I could hear the difference in how much noise my engine made. Or didn't make in this case.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:28 PM
AZdryheat
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mwisch
The table of oil weights is titled "Recommended Oil", but the following paragraph states that oils with a certain diesel ratings can be used when Harley oil is not available, but you should switch back to Harley brand oil ASAP.
Funny you should mention Diesel oil. I switched to Shell Rotella T6 synthetic Diesel oil in my Goldwing because it has an MA rating for motorcycles and, since I have a Duramax Chevy truck, I now only have to keep one oil on hand. The Rotella works great.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:15 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Any business man that makes such a totally false claim like your dealer's people did will never see me again. I walk out just after I tell them off. I'm 70 and am an expert at berating inbred ignorant mutant moron liars.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:13 AM
trucker7775
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay away from them!!! I bought a bike from them and had problems. Service managers are full of sh@#.look up some of my posts. They wont honor warranty work. STAY FAR AWAY

Old 08-03-2011, 07:46 AM
duty2
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 16 Posts

That's not true. When my bike was under warranty, I took my own oil with me, and it was Mobil 1, and they changed it with no problems. Sounds like they just want to sell their oil.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:58 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

I read the first few and last few posts and I amazed at all the misconceptions about "motorcycle" or "car" oil, and the so called experts on this forum. Motorcycle specific oil is used in motorcycles that share the oil with the transmission and have a wet clutch. As such, you don't want the friction modifiers, energy conserving on the label, with the wet clutch which will cause slippage and ultimate failure. It's humorous that so many HD cult types who think anything metric is the motorcycle equivilant to the Yugo, so loudly embrace the oils that Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, and a host of others require in their engines because their clutches share oil with the engine. Feel free to waste the extra $$ on a product that doesn't provide better protection, only better profits for the company. The Syn-3 won't hurt anything but your wallet. Oh and don't forget that the HD oils are a Citgo product which is Hugo Chavez's entity and buying the HD oil helps pay for his chemotherapy. Don't you just love helping mankind like that.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:05 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

HD of Frederick did my 1,000 mile service and had no problem using the Amsoil I brought in. That said, I don't think much of the dealership.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:35 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Chunker
I read the first few and last few posts and I amazed at all the misconceptions about "motorcycle" or "car" oil, and the so called experts on this forum. Motorcycle specific oil is used in motorcycles that share the oil with the transmission and have a wet clutch. As such, you don't want the friction modifiers, energy conserving on the label, with the wet clutch which will cause slippage and ultimate failure. It's humorous that so many HD cult types who think anything metric is the motorcycle equivilant to the Yugo, so loudly embrace the oils that Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, and a host of others require in their engines because their clutches share oil with the engine. Feel free to waste the extra $$ on a product that doesn't provide better protection, only better profits for the company. The Syn-3 won't hurt anything but your wallet. Oh and don't forget that the HD oils are a Citgo product which is Hugo Chavez's entity and buying the HD oil helps pay for his chemotherapy. Don't you just love helping mankind like that.
BINGO

As long as the oil used meets the API service requirements specified in the owners manual it is fine to use it. V-Twin, car, lawn mower, or semi. It's all in that little API donut!

Quick Reply: Frederick Harley says any non Harley oil will void my warranty