Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Classic Rear Speaker Wire Colors

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 06:48 PM
UltraBrian
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Classic Rear Speaker Wire Colors

Just installed the Hawg Wired installation kit with an after market radio and the ARC mini amp. No sound from rear speakers. All connections were made per instructions and with the help of FireCap501 from this Forums. Noticed that the stock Harmon Kardon radio was using 2 harness connectors. One small and one big. The big harness connector is not being used and I feel the rear speaker wires are in that harness.

Can anyone with a Service Manual for 2008 Touring Models verify the rear speaker wire colors in the big harness for me? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:11 PM
ks-waterbug
Cruiser

These colors are at the speakers themselves, cause I'm not exactly sure what your asking concerning the two radio connections up front.
Right rear spearker appears to be a twisted pair... Light green/brown and green
Left rear speaker appears to be a twisted pair... Brown and white/brown

My first HD wire diagram, but almost 20 years of wire dia experience in the aviation field.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:28 PM
UltraBrian
Road Warrior

Thanks for the reply. Never thought about looking at the speaker wires where they connect to the speakers themselves. ROFL! Sometimes you forget the obvious, right?

I'm going to splice into the rear speaker wires at the factory harness and hook them into my ARC amp. Will have to get aftermarket speakers for the rear before I do this though. The stock speakers will not last long once connected to the amp. Again, I appreciate the reply.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:02 AM
ks-waterbug
Cruiser

Before you splice those wires you could run a simple test from the connector... Using a 9volt battery you can check the phase of the speakers, but better yet you should be able to tell if you have the correct wires. With the lead of the + connected to the + wire of the speaker and the - connected to the - wire of the speaker, they should POP out! They could also POP in (Incorrect phase, just switch the wires). If the speakers don't move you don't have the correct wires.... At least this works on auto's and should be worth a try! Phase is pretty important for your stereo to function properly.... Which sometimes means mixing them up, but your just looking for the correct wires. Oh, one last thing NEVER do this with a tweet! Hope this helps

Old 08-31-2009, 08:56 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraBrian
Will have to get aftermarket speakers for the rear before I do this though. The stock speakers will not last long once connected to the amp. Again, I appreciate the reply.
Could be wrong here, but I thought the amp powers the front but the stock stereo will power the rear?

Old 09-01-2009, 08:02 PM
UltraBrian
Road Warrior

You are correct. The amp does power the front speakers, but I'm going for the amp powering the rear's as well.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:07 PM
davecurtis72
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UltraBrian
You are correct. The amp does power the front speakers, but I'm going for the amp powering the rear's as well.
Hello i know this is yearssssss later, but this is the closest thread to my issue. Did you ever find the rear speakers if so which connector was it brake side or clitch side??? Also im new here i started a thread not sure how to show it to you here but maybe you can check ot out and give your thoughts would be appreciated