Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

11.5" 412 Progressive shocks on a FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:09 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts
Default 11.5" 412 Progressive shocks on a FLHX

I am thinking of installing 11.5" 412 Series (Standard) Progressive shocks on the rear of my 2008 SG and how they compare to the OEM air shocks. I just ordered the Progressive drop-in lowering kit to lower the front 1".

1. Did the 11.5 shocks actually lower the seat high?

2. How did the ride compare with the 12" OEM air shocks after adjusting them, better, worse, about the same?

I am not expecting a lot from these inexpensive shocks, but it they bring me down a little and don't make the ride worse, I think there worth a shot.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:25 PM
ryanl
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the progressives on my RK. Granted the ones I used dropped the bike 2", but they are pretty springy compared to the air shocks. Especially if Im loaded down, or have wife on. Im considering going back to a dropped air shock and having Mean City Cycles work my seat over to get the desired height. Pretty sure I have seen that they can lower the seat 1/2-1", Cheaper than the shocks also....

Old 08-31-2009, 01:29 PM
gibbyflhx
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put a set of 11.5 440's in my streetglide. It actually handles really well. Spend the extra money and get the 440's, you will be happy

Old 08-31-2009, 02:13 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ryanl
I put the progressives on my RK. Granted the ones I used dropped the bike 2", but they are pretty springy compared to the air shocks. Especially if Im loaded down, or have wife on. Im considering going back to a dropped air shock and having Mean City Cycles work my seat over to get the desired height. Pretty sure I have seen that they can lower the seat 1/2-1", Cheaper than the shocks also....
Did you go with the 11.5" on the rear, and did you get any bottoming out?

I just had the Comfort rider option done to the Sundowner seat by MCC. This kept the seat about the same height (maybe a tad higher) and along with the new E3 tires the seat height is about what it was before. Just want to get the seat hight a little lower.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:31 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by gibbyflhx
I just put a set of 11.5 440's in my streetglide. It actually handles really well. Spend the extra money and get the 440's, you will be happy
From what I have read here, the 11.5" 440's didn't perform much better than the 412's because the 440's needed more travel to work there magic. Thanks for the feedback, and I will consider the 440's.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:32 PM
ryanl
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ill have to double check my paperwork (if I can find it)
Im pretty sure they were 11.5's however, it was lowest they made for my bike and dropped the rear 2". I have bottomed out before, but it was loaded down riding 2up and hit a pothole. Doesnt happen all the time or anything though.
Having your oem air shocks modified is another option, not much difference in price.

How do you like your MCC modified seat?

Old 08-31-2009, 02:59 PM
gibbyflhx
Cruiser

I just did a 150 mile ride on the 440's and was amazed at the difference. I currently have them set on full soft and never bottomed out. The 440 is a much better shock all around than the 412's

Old 08-31-2009, 03:31 PM
WildBillAce2
Road Master

I went through a bunch of 411s on my dyna and I think you are going to bottom out a lot unless you get the heavy duty version. Then your ride is going to be quite stiff.

My RK is a bit too high for me but after susupension problems with my dyna, I'm not going to mess with this one - it handles and rides too well as is. I'm gettting a Badlander seat for in town and then having Mean City Cycles modify my stock seat to make it lower. Even with buying a new seat and having the stock one modified it costs less than lowering the front and rear.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:44 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ryanl
Ill have to double check my paperwork (if I can find it)
Im pretty sure they were 11.5's however, it was lowest they made for my bike and dropped the rear 2". I have bottomed out before, but it was loaded down riding 2up and hit a pothole. Doesnt happen all the time or anything though.
Having your oem air shocks modified is another option, not much difference in price.

How do you like your MCC modified seat?
A good pot hole will bottom out the OEM's also. So not much difference there.

I MCC recover the seat in leather and only have about 80 miles on it, so the brake-in time is longer. It feels a but stiff under the jewels without the adjustable back rest. It feels much better with the back rest, which I use almost all of the time. This is going to be my all day seat and I am sure it will get better in time.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:01 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by gibbyflhx
I just did a 150 mile ride on the 440's and was amazed at the difference. I currently have them set on full soft and never bottomed out. The 440 is a much better shock all around than the 412's
That's good info. Do you have the the standard or HD model?

Quick Reply: 11.5" 412 Progressive shocks on a FLHX