Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   fairing bracket (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/399535-fairing-bracket.html)

roaddog01 09-03-2009 10:22 AM

fairing bracket

is it much trouble to change the fairing bracket on the right side, part # 58939-96C. This bracket has broke seven times on my 06 street glide and the harley shop wants $140 to replace a $10 bracket. Could someone tell me how to change it myself?

CndUltra95 09-03-2009 11:37 AM

roaddog01, it aint rocket science to change out the smaller speaker bracket.
Ok, Ok , I didnt look up the part number but changed them out myself, twice in one summer.
You need a shop manual to assist you in doing this though.
Spend half the money that the shop wanted to do this job and have at it.
Sorry if I sound flipant, but I am all left handed when it comes to most wrenching tasks, but can change the oil and a few other minor repairs with the assistance of the shop manual and the assistance of this board.

leicafish 09-03-2009 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by CndUltra95 (Post 5529404)
roaddog01, it aint rocket science to change out the smaller speaker bracket.
Ok, Ok , I didnt look up the part number but changed them out myself, twice in one summer.
You need a shop manual to assist you in doing this though.
Spend half the money that the shop wanted to do this job and have at it.
Sorry if I sound flipant, but I am all left handed when it comes to most wrenching tasks, but can change the oil and a few other minor repairs with the assistance of the shop manual and the assistance of this board.

+1 Shop manual, Patience and satisfaction for a job well done.

ewhinger 09-03-2009 12:49 PM

????

Seven broken brackets on an '06?

vbx07 09-03-2009 01:40 PM

If your talking about the large black bracket, just get a 90 degree galvinized elbow at the hardware store and drill three hole's one hole to bolt to inner fairing and two on the flat black bracket bolt it up and you never have to worry about it. If you do a search I'm sure there is a thread on this.

fathertime 09-03-2009 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by roaddog01 (Post 5529092)
is it much trouble to change the fairing bracket on the right side, part # 58939-96C. This bracket has broke seven times on my 06 street glide and the harley shop wants $140 to replace a $10 bracket. Could someone tell me how to change it myself?

the small on from rt main fairing brkt to speaker?
piece of cake , remove 3 screws holding w/s and the 4 holding fairing cap..a wool sock over the passing lamps(if you have them)..so as not to scratch fairing..your there
its a 1 beer job

iclick 09-03-2009 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by vbx07 (Post 5529930)
If your talking about the large black bracket, just get a 90 degree galvinized elbow at the hardware store and drill three hole's one hole to bolt to inner fairing and two on the flat black bracket bolt it up and you never have to worry about it. If you do a search I'm sure there is a thread on this.

I used this method using some metal pieces lying around the garage and wrote it up here. In fact, the green piece is from some leftover flower-bed metal edging. These vertical-bracket modifications have been holding for almost a year and 10k miles now. Just use metal pieces that are thicker than the stock bracket for more durability.

themensh 09-03-2009 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by roaddog01 (Post 5529092)

If it is just the silver bracket that goes to your speaker...it looks like it would be fairly simple task. On my bike (04 Ultra) I saw all four brackets were cracked. I looked at ot for awhile and decided it was too involved for me to tackle.
I bought the parts and took the bike to a dealer. They charged me $140 to replace all four brackets and one of the rubber seals on the fairing...plus they washed my bike (which it needed).
I thought it was cheap...and the time that they took to fix it, I would still be on my
patio wondering where to start (I have no garage and it is 90 degrees outside).
For me? $140 well spent PLUS no more windshield shake.

Chuck

Lyfer 09-03-2009 06:17 PM

I just had mine replaced. They said that the brackets are a new design and should hold up better. We'll see.

SC_Compact 09-03-2009 07:13 PM

How do you know if the bracket breaks?