Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles on a set of spark plugs??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 10:23 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replace mine in the spring.Any where from 12-15k mi. and check them a couple of times in the summer.Don't like to leave them in too long without cleaning the threads off and using anti-seize compound.I've heard too many horror stories of the heli-coils comming out with the plugs.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:45 PM
1stGlide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't changed mine yet but then I only have 17k miles on them. I guess I don't understand why they have to be changed so often. You can run your car or truck plugs 100k miles. what's the difference between the two?

Old 12-08-2017, 03:22 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts

Yes this thread is 8 years old.

For the 2015's the manual states every 2 years or 30K miles which ever comes first. So Change them spark plugs when you are supposed to change the brake fluid.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:43 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,746 Likes on 6,893 Posts

Dealer changed mine at the 10K service on my 2016 Limited and it actually ran better!

I change the plug on my lawn mower every year and it has a lot fewer than 10k miles!

Old 12-10-2017, 05:57 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 628 Likes on 454 Posts

This is just like an oil thread. The difference between plugs and oil is there are shade tree ways to measure plug performance, but it takes a lab to test your oil. I see those who brag about NOT watching fuel mileage, and that is fine. However, fuel economy is a good indicator of combustion efficiency and so is spark plug tip color. When my mileage begins to drop spark plugs are cheap and easy to change. On my machine, I have never seen fuel economy drop in less than 30,000 on the plugs. A new plug makes a spark with less juice so when starting isn't as easy as it used to be, tired spark plugs are a good place to check. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That can be a hard concept for some of the "fiddle happy, cheap insurance" guys, but to each his own. Don't know why people don't go to the manual FIRST, and then ask how that is working out for others. Harley would like you to eventually buy another machine from them, why not go with what is supposed to keep you a happy customer by following the manual?

Old 12-11-2017, 06:06 AM
y22c
Road Master
Received 163 Likes on 102 Posts

I change my plugs when the body of the plug starts to rust, ...looks bad.

Never see a performance difference

Ken

Old 12-11-2017, 06:11 AM
merlin 2
Tourer

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

every spring along with the air filter need it or not.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:28 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

I replace the plugs on the Limited when the service manual calls for it, and each time the plugs were fine. You're not spending much on two spark plugs.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:34 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

If they are lookin' good, and runnin' good, I clean 'em, swap 'em around, and run 'em.
Why mess up a good thing?

Old 12-11-2017, 11:11 AM
Jim electa glide
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Being a tech all my life I let the plugs tell me when to change them. Look at the electrode, if its clean and has sharp edges, plug is good check gap and use. If electrodes are starting to round off a change is due soon. So people ride there bikes hard and some easier. This is what dictates the replacement time. A bike that is always rode hard rev to high rpm's they will burn out faster than a person who just cruises down the road. And another factor highway miles vs in town miles. All things to consider. when changing plugs, the recommended intervals the factory sets is to cover their asses when a bike is under warranty, loop hole to decline warranty coverage.

Quick Reply: How many miles on a set of spark plugs??