Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fleet Auction of Police FLHPI Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 01:38 AM
cccdesign
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fleet Auction of Police FLHPI Motorcycles

OK, I am new here and new to H-D motorcycles, never owned one, always wanted one. I have always had Kawasaki KZ1000s.
I have logged in and read the forums for hours, til my eyes bled. Please allow me to pose a couple of questions.
I have discovered an auction company that deals in fleet vehicles and motorcycles. There are several 2006 FLHPI ROAD KINGs up for auction with about 50K miles on them. Two of them look complete and in good condition.
What would I look for when inspecting a police bike of unknown origin? It is possible to start but not ride the bikes.
Would I be crazy to buy a bike with 50K miles? In reading the forum, this is not a lot of miles but it is getting up there.
What is the possible range in value? The last auction sold a 2006 for $6750 with 36K and a 2000 for $5000 with 42K.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:03 AM
carltex
Road Warrior

Can't really tell you exactly what to look for but 50k in probably three years is alot of miles for me. Patrol bikes can get ridden very hard sometimes but they do have the maintenance done to them. The prices you mention seem to be for bikes that aren't in very good shape. If you think about it how does a LEO ride? Setting at a dead stop with a radar on you, then they hammer the throttle to catch up with you. I wouldn't pay much for one myself. JMO.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:28 AM
gabulldog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These prices seem to be good. I would not be at all afraid to buy one of these bikes especially if you can do your own work. If you have to take your bike to the shop for everything then its probably not such a good deal. In the county that I live in the guys I know that are moto cops treat their bikes like they are their own (I guess they are for a year or so). They make sure they are serviced on time, everything works, etc. Go for it, especially if you are going to make a custom.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:10 AM
up2nogood22
Cruiser

Sad to say, but they'd probably be a better buy than buying my RG. 3 years and 50K is light riding comparatively (I have 29K in 17 months), and I know I ride mine much harder than most of the LEOs I know do.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:05 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

You would be crazy if you bought thinking there would not be immediate maintenance work needed. Specifically, the cam chain tensioners and probably brake rotors. You can inspect the rotors and see if there are grooves in them. The tensioners often need replacement at 40K miles or so, but you won't be able to inspect them.

In considering a purchase, anticipate likely maintenance work and calculate that in the cost of buying one of these bikes.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:50 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

One of my best friends maintains the motor squad bikes for Fairfax County Police in Virginia. I know him, his work and the shop, as well as a few guys who ride them. That said, they are ridden hard, BUT they are among the best maintained vehicles in a fleet that comprises thousands of other vehicles and no expense is spared there. Don't know what other departments do but I would suspect they take pretty good care of their motors.I wouldn't be afraid to buy one if I was in the market

Old 09-16-2009, 08:10 AM
twostepct
6th Gear

You need to be sure to expect some paint chips from normal wear, dropping things on it etc. I would also check the floor boards and supports. It's common to drag the boards turning tight turns. The good thing is it should have the police bags which have a hockey puck looking latch on top rather than the normal bag latch. I don't know about anyone else, but I much prefer these.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:27 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

post a link to the auction, give us all a chance.

In God we Trust

dd

Old 09-16-2009, 09:15 AM
jpsexton
Cruiser

Like others have said, they are normally serviced regularly and most LEO's treat them with pride. I have an 07 FLHTPI that had 10k on it when I bought it and I've not had any problems at all. If I had it to do over again I wouldn't hesitate at all. Look at it as a blank canvas perfect for customizing!

Old 09-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Beeracuda
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carltex
Can't really tell you exactly what to look for but 50k in probably three years is alot of miles for me.
I'm a little disappointed that I only have a bit over 50K miles in 27 months. I fully expect that it will hit 100K before I am ready for another bike. That will most likely be within 2 years.

Quick Reply: Fleet Auction of Police FLHPI Motorcycles