Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biker broke down: Do you stop?

Old 09-17-2009, 07:33 AM
Rodman813
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biker broke down: Do you stop?

Biker broke along side the highway. Do you stop? I was riding yesterday and saw a biker on the side of the rode. I didn't stop for several reasons. 1) I was in the far right lane (he was on the left). 2) He had a cell phone 3) although he was on the interstate, he was in the city (exits w/in .25 mile). But, Do you stop????

Old 09-17-2009, 07:40 AM
cajunfla
Tourer

Depends on traffic. Fast moving, heavy traffic? No. If traffic is minimal, slow moving with opportunity to pull over and the get across the road to help / talk, Yes I would.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:41 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

I at least slow down and try to get a signal from them, maybe toot the horn. You could have turned around at the exits and gone back. If it was obvious he was broke down I would have.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:44 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain

I would stop if I'm safely able to get over, but I wouldn't lose sleep over the situation you described.

You never know, you might be able to get a stranded rider going and that's better than calling a tow. I always think everyone carries a cell-phone, but I stopped at a scenic rest-stop a while back and there was this old guy leaning against his car with the hood up. I asked if he called road service and he said he didn't have a cell and had been waiting an hour. I said "SCREW YOU CAGER!" and roared off -- J/K...I let him used my phone to call his wife and then a friend to come get him. LOL.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:51 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I would try my best to stop and see. Have been broken down before in a car without a cell phone (decades back before they were up everyones' a**). No one stopped for me. I walked two miles to the next exit to call my brother.

I have slowed down and gave a biker the thumbs up/thumbs down, and his response was a good nod and thumbs up; while the cell phone was 'stuck' to his ear. Rode on.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:54 AM
ivel_86
Tourer

As a general rule of the thumb I always stop unless I have the wife. Also I will not stop if it puts me in danger but I usally go out of my way to help. Because usally if I need help and someone stops to help....... it pays to be kind type o deal.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:59 AM
Rodman813
Road Captain

Originally Posted by frontiercat
I have slowed down and gave a biker the thumbs up/thumbs down, and his response was a good nod and thumbs up.
so this is the standard protocol for broken down biker signals? thumbs up or down? Learned something new today. I will at least do this next time

Old 09-17-2009, 08:01 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I make every effort to stop.. even if help is on the way another person to talk to can help a bunch..

Old 09-17-2009, 08:03 AM
anniv03classic
Tourer

If I see the biker soon enough and can get to the side of the road they are on safely, I'll stop.

I've done it a few times now. Usually the biker is OK and they are surprised someone stopped to help. I'll always help if possible.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:05 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll stop unless I get the "thumbs up" or some other signal indicating all is well. If I couldn't stop because of traffic I'll make an effort to turn around at an exit, whatever, to make sure it's all good. I've had way too many guys stop for me back in my shovel days and I surely don't want to break any Karma. Plus, odds are it will be me again someday and I appreciate at least the effort instead of the now accepted, "Hi, how are you, sucks to be you" wave as they fly by.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Biker broke down: Do you stop?