Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front wheel bearing failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 02:35 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

This was the picture I took from road side.

I do not own a pressure/power washer - are they sealed bearings?
If not sealed when and how should they be repacked?
I own a shop manual I think they are supposed to be sealed?
The bike had 10,900 miles at the time of failure
Purchased the bike new, original tires at the time

This is a problem, the dealer said he has replace a few here and I live on a little island. Great bike but in 30+ years of riding I have not had a bearing failure.

Original thread

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ase-marks.html

Here is another thread this one about the rear wheel bearing.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...g-failure.html

Last edited by EricD10563; 09-21-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:58 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I would like to know who makes those bearings. If HD is starting to use cheaper (chinese) parts to boost profits, my 06 will be my last harley. That bike is way too new for that to happen.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by EricD10563
This was the picture I took from road side.

I do not own a pressure/power washer - are they sealed bearings?
If not sealed when and how should they be repacked?
I own a shop manual I think they are supposed to be sealed?
The bike had 10,900 miles at the time of failure
Purchased the bike new, original tires at the time

This is a problem, the dealer said he has replace a few here and I live on a little island. Great bike but in 30+ years of riding I have not had a bearing failure.

Original thread

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ase-marks.html

Here is another thread this one about the rear wheel bearing.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...g-failure.html

YES they are sealed bearings and should last for eons!!!!

2 observations (thanks for posting the picture).

1) The seal had popped off.
2) The bearing is bone dry of lubrication! (of course the heat generated during failure might have caused that part).

As Carpetride asked, I too would be VERY curious to know who made that bearing. Poor installation can also cause a bearing to fail prematurely. (hammering them in instead of pressing them in, for one).

A sealed bearing does not need lube, but a pressure washer (25 cent car wash) can blow existing lube out of them. ( I know, not the case with yours - but worth mentioning for others).

Thanks for sharing your experience! I for one, will be inspecting my bearings soon, LOL

Old 09-21-2009, 04:33 PM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you look at the bearing to see if it was chinese?

Old 09-21-2009, 04:43 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Faast Ed

1) The seal had popped off.

Just to clarify about the seal, it did not look that bad when I pulled over. It wasn't until a closer inspection that I noticed how the seal was seperating, that gave me the confidence to take my knife blade pull it apart, it was easy to do and was obvious the seal was already broken. Just saying it might not look that bad.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

I work with large electric motors (as used in the Steel Mills).

I know for a fact that sealed bearings are very durable and will last for many years of hard use,...... unless damaged upon install, or other forces such as a hard imbalance (which would be too obvious on a bike to keep riding), or if moisture was allowed to get past the seal and corrode part of the race or *****. Also, they could have been "cocked" (not installed perfectly parallel) or over tightening the axle could have caused a bind. Improper housing fit (housing to small) is another issue I've seen, but not real common. Now if HD has had many go out like yours, the housing fit could be a possibility. Press fit, yes, but too tight of a press fit is bad.

I'd want the old bearing back so I could do a real thorough inspection as to what exactly went on.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by EricD10563
Just to clarify about the seal, it did not look that bad when I pulled over. It wasn't until a closer inspection that I noticed how the seal was seperating, that gave me the confidence to take my knife blade pull it apart, it was easy to do and was obvious the seal was already broken. Just saying it might not look that bad.
That almost sounds like the bearing outer race, was cocked in the wheel. Once the axle gets put in, it would tend to fight the outer race. Not a real lot holding that seal in to begin with, don't need to be if the bearing is seated properly.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:24 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
That almost sounds like the bearing outer race, was cocked in the wheel. Once the axle gets put in, it would tend to fight the outer race. Not a real lot holding that seal in to begin with, don't need to be if the bearing is seated properly.
I really do not think so, what I think if you look at the original post you can see how the ball-bearings were disintegrating which I would imagine cause some heat, then the metal filings ate away at the seal, in one picture you can even see how some metal was protruding from the bearing. I think the bearings are cheap bearings. I noticed grease marks a few months before complete failure, I guess that was my first clue. I'll bet money that my rear will fail too, I noticed some excess grease there also.

I still thinks its the nicest bike I have ever owned but more for emotional reasons than anything else.

Edited to show the metal protrusion. I have no idea what that is.

Last edited by EricD10563; 09-21-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Edited to show the metal protrusion. I have no idea what that is.
That's called the "cage". Holds the ***** in place.

Here's a lil info that speaks of several possible causes of bearing failure.

http://www.wilcoxon.com/knowdesk/bearing.pdf

As said in the article, it does not take much "misalignment" to ruin your day. Nothing the eye can see.
Your bearings failed prematurely for a reason! I'll just bet the HD researchers already found the reason, they just ain't broadcasting it to the public. LOL

If misalignment exceeds 0.001
in./in you can expect an abnormal
temperature rise in the bearing
and/or housing and heavy wear in

the cage ball-pockets.

The cage is what is sticking out the side of your bearing (part of the cage).

Last edited by Faast Ed; 09-21-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:57 PM
daharleyrdr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Wheel Bearings

IBHARLEY
On my 08 Electra Glide Classic had it in the dealer for 10K service tech noticed a funny noise from the front wheel thus the wheel bearing was replaced under warranty, not as bad as yours but getting there. I was just lucky so hats why I let the dealer do the servicing, hes got the tools and the knowledge, I go to Barbs Harley Davidson Camden County New Jersey! Excuse the shameless plug!!LOL, Ride Safe Bill

Quick Reply: front wheel bearing failure