Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Strut Covers and Frame Hoop problems on SG?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:43 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Replacing Strut Covers and Frame Hoop problems on SG?

I bought some Klock Werks upper filler covers that I had planned to paint and install on my 08 SG after I had the "Hoop and strut covers" removed from my bike. This is obviously done on almost every custom FLHT/FLHX pre 09 bike I've ever seen, so it seemed there shouldn't be a problem. I was talking to my guy at HDNT about doing it and he said that some had experienced a bit of instability after removing it. Then I was speaking to a forum member on the phone yesterday and he mentioned that he had actually removed and then put his back on due the instability under agressive riding. Can anyone else weigh in on this before I pull the trigger and install the cool looking upper fillers?

Old 08-28-2009, 01:08 PM
ncbeast
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my "hoop" removed for the last 2000 miles and I can not tell any difference. I was concerned before doing this as well since I am 240#. Also have rode with son which is about 90# with no issues so far.

Attached Thumbnails Replacing Strut Covers and Frame Hoop problems on SG?-dsc01898.jpg   Replacing Strut Covers and Frame Hoop problems on SG?-rear.jpg  
Old 08-28-2009, 02:14 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ncbeast
I have had my "hoop" removed for the last 2000 miles and I can not tell any difference. I was concerned before doing this as well since I am 240#. Also have rode with son which is about 90# with no issues so far.

Good to know NC! Sure looks good!

Old 08-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts

My hoop has been gone for about 15-20K miles. No problems here.
Jerry

Old 08-28-2009, 03:27 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

Another good answer I really don't want to send the fillers back! I just got a paint quote

Old 08-28-2009, 04:10 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

I always laugh when I hear this. Yeah, the hoop keeps the rear suspension together! NOT. It's not even part of the rear suspension!

The rear suspension is isolated from seat and rear fender etc. The swing arm which contains the business end of the bike does not touch the rear frame horns or any other part of that section of the bike. It has nothing to do with it. You could cut the entire fender, bags, seat etc off the bike and ride it down the road without any ill effects to "handling". That would be hard to ride though...and be pretty ugly.

All the hoop does is give the permanent mounted tourpaks some place to mount. It's a totally unnecessary piece of chrome that does nothing for stability, not even rear fender stability. It does box the end of the frame horns together but if you ever had your hand on one of the frame horns you'd know they are ridgid as heck and no amount of riding without the hoop is going to even budge them. Not even a millimeter. Your fender does a nice job of "boxing in" the frame horns by itself.

So in a nutshell. No you do not need the hoop.

Picture of a dirty-*** bike with the upper covers you intend to install below. 14K miles, no problems.

lp

Last edited by lp; 08-28-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:30 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
I always laugh when I hear this. Yeah, the hoop keeps the rear suspension together! NOT. It's not even part of the rear suspension!

The rear suspension is isolated from seat and rear fender etc. The swing arm which contains the business end of the bike does not touch the rear frame horns or any other part of that section of the bike. It has nothing to do with it. You could cut the entire fender, bags, seat etc off the bike and ride it down the road without any ill effects to "handling". That would be hard to ride though...and be pretty ugly.

All the hoop does is give the permanent mounted tourpaks some place to mount. It's a totally unnecessary piece of chrome that does nothing for stability, not even rear fender stability. It does box the end of the frame horns together but if you ever had your hand on one of the frame horns you'd know they are ridgid as heck and no amount of riding without the hoop is going to even budge them. Not even a millimeter. Your fender does a nice job of "boxing in" the frame horns by itself.

So in a nutshell. No you do not need the hoop.

Picture of a dirty-*** bike with the upper covers you intend to install below. 14K miles, no problems.

lp

Looks great! Can always count on you LP to set the record straight.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:37 PM
HOGBOY57
Road Captain

I had an 06 street glide and i removed the hoop and put 17000 miles with no problems.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Aces Full
Cruiser

Is there any solution like the KW Upper Filler for us 09 guys? I have an 09 Ultra, and I'm installing rear SG fender & fascia. I have hardware for detachable TourPak. I spoke at length with KW, and they confirmed that Upper Curvaceous Filler won't work with my setup, and they are about to offer a 1 piece filler, but that would make me give up the SG Facsia that I want to use. Any ideas???

Old 10-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Aces Full
Cruiser

Any ideas?