Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air cleaner puking out oil ... twin cam

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Ultra RB
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air cleaner puking out oil ... twin cam

I have a 1999 Ultra, 95", 50k miles on it. Engine rebuilt 5k ago by a reputable dealer, runs like a top, better than ever.

But, the other day I noticed oil had puked out of the air cleaner and dripped onto the crankcase ... clean oil (changed 1k ago). Also some sprayed onto the rear header pipe.

What causes this? Is it harmful? Should I do anything about it ... or just enjoy the aroma?

Thanks.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Kahuna
Road Master
Default RE: Air cleaner puking out oil ... twin cam

Ultra,

There are two sources where the oil is coming from. First, if you have a K&N Stage I (reusable) air filter, it requires oiling after the service. This could drip out if oversaturated. The other source is the engine oil mist that is coming from the crankcase vent. The way this "supposed" to work is when the oil mist comes out through the holes in the air filter backplate, the suction from the air intake is supposed to suck it back into the engine. Thus, no drips! However, that theory never worked too well. Most baggers with the TC88 engines can be sure to see some oil dripping from the air cleaner from time to time.

What you can do:

- Make sure that your engine oil is not overfilled in the crankcase.
- Try the new HD (blue) air filter. This one doesn't need to be oiled.
- Keep your engine properly tuned. Backfires can force more oil to the filter.
- Occasionally wipe the inside of the air cleaner to remove excess oil.

Hope these help.

Kahuna
ORIGINAL: Ultra RB

I have a 1999 Ultra, 95", 50k miles on it. Engine rebuilt 5k ago by a reputable dealer, runs like a top, better than ever.

But, the other day I noticed oil had puked out of the air cleaner and dripped onto the crankcase ... clean oil (changed 1k ago). Also some sprayed onto the rear header pipe.

What causes this? Is it harmful? Should I do anything about it ... or just enjoy the aroma?

Thanks.

Old 06-21-2006, 11:22 AM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What Kahuna said. It is normal.[sm=exactly.gif][sm=trust_me.gif]
ORIGINAL: Kahuna

Ultra,

There are two sources where the oil is coming from. First, if you have a K&N Stage I (reusable) air filter, it requires oiling after the service. This could drip out if oversaturated. The other source is the engine oil mist that is coming from the crankcase vent. The way this "supposed" to work is when the oil mist comes out through the holes in the air filter backplate, the suction from the air intake is supposed to suck it back into the engine. Thus, no drips! However, that theory never worked too well. Most baggers with the TC88 engines can be sure to see some oil dripping from the air cleaner from time to time.

What you can do:

- Make sure that your engine oil is not overfilled in the crankcase.
- Try the new HD (blue) air filter. This one doesn't need to be oiled.
- Keep your engine properly tuned. Backfires can force more oil to the filter.
- Occasionally wipe the inside of the air cleaner to remove excess oil.

Hope these help.

Kahuna

Thanks.

Old 06-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Ultra RB
Novice

Kahuna/100thRK ...

Thanks for the advice.

Yes the oil level is at the high mark, I'll suction a bit out. I also removed and cleaned the K&N, there was some engine oil residue but not a lot. Funny thing is this bike has never done this before so I suspect it's the oil level thing, maybe I put a bit too much in this last oil change.

Thanks again and good riding to you.

Old 06-21-2006, 02:32 PM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have v@H breathers that driped oil into the air cleaner. I ran a hose from each port and down and out the sides .

[IMG]local://upfiles/3159/FB1AC44F02EF46F6BE2474DFD13951D5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

Sounds good Ultra RB. I had the same problem with my Road Glide, but it seemed to have gone away, now that I've changed to the new HD (blue) air filter. It seems to create a better seal with the backplate, so the oil is being sucked back in more efficiently.

Kahuna/100thRK ...

Thanks for the advice.

Yes the oil level is at the high mark, I'll suction a bit out. I also removed and cleaned the K&N, there was some engine oil residue but not a lot. Funny thing is this bike has never done this before so I suspect it's the oil level thing, maybe I put a bit too much in this last oil change.

Thanks again and good riding to you.

Old 07-04-2006, 02:59 PM
hmarcley
Stage II

i have a 2000 road glide efi wich puked oil from filter when ridden at high rpm or for long periods. Harley informed me problem was the oil pump, I rebuilt eng. 5 days ago went with 1550 kit w/cams also upgraded oil pump to solve problem. Rode bike around city eng. performance was great. got it up on interstate to see what she could do 10 miles in eng puked 1 qt of oil from housing, covering new eng. and paint. Oil psi dropped to 5psi, i limped it home but am discouraged problem still exists.oil is pumped to top end to fast and has noware else to go. any ideas would be appreciated. It wasnt over filled and was a Qt and 1/2 low after ride.

Old 07-04-2006, 03:43 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 1/2 quarts low, that is BRUTAL!