Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Keeping black exhaust black/clean (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/418025-keeping-black-exhaust-black-clean.html)

JonnyD 09-28-2009 06:19 PM

Keeping black exhaust black/clean

Been thinking about putting black exhaust on my King. First, how easy are they to keep clean and looking good? Second, how does the finish hold up? Is one brand better than others for finish? Third, and I'm just throwing this out there, has anyone done black headers w/ chrome mufflers or vise-versa? And last, show me your pipes if you got em.

AZCFH 09-28-2009 06:40 PM

i've got the rinehart black ceramic version. i like the looks alot the finish has stood up well so far (hope i didn't jinx myself) they dont seem to attract dirt as much as the chrome pipes i've had before i used glass cleaner on my black ones and no ill effect on the finish. the only pic i have is in my sig. had the vance and hines big shot duals in black as well but i like the finish on my rineharts better hope that helps

Maimas 09-28-2009 06:44 PM

Mine are Black from the heads with chrome heat shields. When I clean the bike, I spray everything with spray wax and it leaves a nice finish on the black... Havent had any finish issues.

16X9 Shooter 09-28-2009 08:57 PM

Supertrapp 2-1, no problem.

RB racing "black hole" is gone. Would not even give them away. Straight into dumpster.

jtb4ever 09-28-2009 09:46 PM

09 street glide with rush slip on black muffler and chrome tips. they r flat black. they keep clean. i like the look of the chrome header black muffler and then back to chrome tips. really flows nice. good luck bro!

1sweetglide08 09-29-2009 12:32 AM

I have V&H black dresser duals and Monster Ovals...looks great and easy to clean....far less cleaning than chrome.

max56 09-29-2009 12:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had mine ceramic coated black. The black seems to be holding up pretty well after about a year. I just wipe them down with ACF-50 after washing and blow drying.

Attachment 559680

RKKY 09-29-2009 02:22 AM

Haven't had any problems with mine and I have let the Scoot get pretty dirty. The Pewter Pearl just doesn't show dirt so I usually go too long in between washes. I usually just pay on of the Lot Techs at the dealership 5 bucks or so and they do a pretty good job for me. They use Simple Green and hand dry and I've never noticed any problems.

JonnyD 09-30-2009 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by 1sweetglide08 (Post 5649470)
I have V&H black dresser duals and Monster Ovals...looks great and easy to clean....far less cleaning than chrome.

Got any pics? I'm thinking of these headers and not sure on mufflers yet.

Thanks guys!

klemay 09-30-2009 05:18 PM

So the next question is, when one scratches his black pipe, what do you use to "touch it up"?