Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do NOT lube Magnum Shielding clutch cables!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 09:46 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Do NOT lube Magnum Shielding clutch cables!

I destroyed my almost new 80 buck clutch cable when I lubed it with Dri-Slide....Instantly, the cable took on a "ratchity" feel and no longer returned to full desengage...There was no fixing it other than to replace it.

Turns out their clutch cables are teflon lined inside and don't ever need lubed, and the solvent in Dri-Slide reacts with certain inner/outter cable linings causing them to break down.

The Dri-Slide worked perfectly on my Magnum Shielding throttle cables, but they are constructed differently.

I love my Magnum Shielding cables and brake hoses. I have them on all 3 scoots, but I didn't know not to lube the clutch cable until I did it.

My clutch cable didn't need lubed, but I did it while I lubed the throttle cables thinking I might as well seeing as how it would eventually need lubed...DUH, instant destruction!

Dri-Slide is a VERY good cable lube that has a long hypo needle included. It goes in liquid, then quickly evaporates to leave a dry moly film that doesn't attract dirt like regular lubes....It's the liquid solvent in Dri-Slide that damages the teflon clutch cable liner, not the moly. The liquid holds the moly in suspension and allows it to flow down the full length of the cable where it then evaporates and leaves the moly behind to do it's magic.

Bottom line is both Magnum Shielding and Dri-Slide make superior products, but we need to be careful how we combine the two because they don't warn of possible damage in their instructions.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:29 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting.

Thanks for the notice.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up. Tips like this save people on here money. Unfortunately there is always the first person (you this time) who does the wrong that ends up being out the replacement money.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:49 AM
gli.der
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry you had to be the Martyr....Hopefully, we all learn from this. Thanks for the post......

Old 10-10-2009, 10:59 AM
tencrore
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your experience.

Should you want to lube your clutch cable, I recommend the Harley Lube, http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...5&default=none

I use it with great results on my braided clutch cables.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the heads up.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:40 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info. I've got the Magnum Shielding cables on my bike. Did you check with Magnum about the construction difference of the throttle cables?

Old 10-10-2009, 12:37 PM
jasilva
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SG 1
Good info. I've got the Magnum Shielding cables on my bike. Did you check with Magnum about the construction difference of the throttle cables?
+1 I thought the throttle/idle cables were constructed the same?

Old 10-10-2009, 02:26 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jasilva
+1 I thought the throttle/idle cables were constructed the same?
According to web site:

Clutch cable
  • Nylon coated inner cable with Teflon cable liner vastly decreases clutch lever effort <LI class=contact_text>Hidden nylon inserts and cable liners act as bearing surfaces along the entire length of the cable to provide 1,000,000+ cycles of smotth reliable drag-free operation
  • Factory pre-lubricated
Throttle Cable
  • Hidden nylon inserts and cable liners act as bearing surfaces along the entire length of the cable to provide 1,000,000+ cycles of smotth reliable drag-free operation
  • Factory pre-lubricated with PTFE lubricant
Does anyone know if Magnum Shielding recommends lubricating these cables (throttle/idler, clutch) and with what?

Old 10-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Estil
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply: Do NOT lube Magnum Shielding clutch cables!