Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you recommend the SE255, SE204, or HQ500 for my needs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 09:54 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Would you recommend the SE255, SE204, or HQ500 for my needs?

Been reading alot about cams on this forum, and a couple of others. Been looking at dyno sheets and advice, but haven't found anybody with a real similiar setup like mine:

08 Ultra with the 96ci, fuel-pak, SE Stage 1 AC, V&H Ovals. I'm getting around 44 MPG on it, combo of city/highway miles. I 2-up about 50% of the time. Like to take off fast on it at times from a dead-stop, but know it's not a drag bike and most of the time ride it like the touring bike that it is. Right now it's running great...but would like a little more power for the hills, or for passing around a cage on the highway without always having to downshift a gear. I run around 2400-2700 RPM on the highway.

I think I have my cam choices down to the SE255, SE204, and the HQ500. I ruled out the Andrews 21/26 from some comments I've read. Not looking to outlay the cash to take the bike to 103 or 107, right now, and may never do that (but maybe some day I will). Just looking for some extra torque in the low-to-mid, and maybe a shade more speed in that range.

I'm worried about engine heat, and would like something fairly bulletproof that is going to last me a lot of future miles.

Which of the cams (SE255, SE204, HQ500) is going to help with heat?
Which of these are the best "overall" choice in your opinion, and why?

Old 10-12-2009, 10:15 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

I can't speak for all of those options, but you will be happy with the 255's.... You should have created a poll for people to cast votes. Check out the thread I posted about "ride report 255's installed on a 96 incher". I am more than happy. I can effectively use 6th gear from 50 mph and up. This helps alot on the "charity" rides where everyone is doing the accordian and you are tired of shifting up and down...

Chris

Last edited by cmashark; 10-12-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:40 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mastery, I have read all the cam threads till I am bleary eyed. After consulting several trusted friends and some here on HDF, I am getting ready to do a 'drop in' SE255. I have SE AC, Bub7s, Stage I download and a as yet uninstalled SE Super Tuner. From everything I have read and seen, the SE255 gives a lot of bang for the buck and I am looking for exactly the same thing. Some more 'grunt' in the low end and the ability to cruise, pull, and top hills without changing gears And without giving up mileage and adding heat. Also do not want to get any further into the engine not now anyway.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:04 AM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Take two identical 96" touring bikes, put SE255's in one and Andrews 37's in the other, and dynotune both. The Andrews 37's will start easier and run cooler (due to a later intake closing), the motor will run noticeably smoother, and all around out-perform the 255's, IF THE MOTOR IS OPERATED LIKE IT IS DESIGNED TO BE OPERATED. These motors are not designed to be leaned into at 2000 rpm.
When I had 255's in my motor, I could make the motor ping in neutral with an off-idle throttle burst. I couldn't believe it.
96's love Andrews 37's, and 103's love Andrews 31's and 32's.
Of the three choices you list, the HQ 500's would be my choice.

Last edited by thereal142; 10-13-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:38 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Mastery, the "heat" issue should be off the table as a consideration. The reason the heat issue arose was due to HD leaning out the air-fuel programmed into the ECM starting in '07 in many of the part throttle/light load regimes that we customarily ride in. On '06 and older bikes, these programmed air-fuel settings were richer and the richer mixture helps cool the heads. Any decent tune will richen these areas from the factory programmed values regardless of the cam you select.

As for the cams, don't know anything about the SE-204. HQ had a very useful dyno comparison done by an HD dealer comparing the stock cam, SE-255, and HQ-500 on the same bike. The HQ-500 made more torque and horsepower over a broader rpm range than the 255's, and both were significantly better than the OEM cams.

I have the 88" version of the HQ-500 cams (HQ-0034) w/ Rinehart TD's and SE a/c and haven't thought about a 95" build since installation and tune almost 3 years and 30K miles ago.

Good luck with your research.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:55 AM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman

As for the cams, don't know anything about the SE-204. HQ had a very useful dyno comparison done by an HD dealer comparing the stock cam, SE-255, and HQ-500 on the same bike. The HQ-500 made more torque and horsepower over a broader rpm range than the 255's, and both were significantly better than the OEM cams.
Pingman, do you have a copy of this dyno sheet? I've heard of this a couple of times, but haven't been able to find this...and I think it would really help me with the decision making process if I could find it.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:38 AM
FIREHAWK116
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mastery
Pingman, do you have a copy of this dyno sheet? I've heard of this a couple of times, but haven't been able to find this...and I think it would really help me with the decision making process if I could find it.
I would like to see this also.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:23 AM
confused
Road Captain

I think I am close to your setup
08 Ultra
V&H Ovals
SE A/C
However, my bike was tuned with a TTS Mastertune

That said, I am picking up my bike this week after going with the SE255 CAMS
My reason for the 255's was that I picked them up cheap-cheap-cheap
The tuner said he felt the bike was riding great, 79HP 91Tq
I should be picking the bike up later this week and then-
YES, I will be posting the DYNO sheet for all to examine and provide +/- feedback
Please stand by...........

Old 10-13-2009, 09:16 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I am running a SE air kit, V&H power duals and monster ovals with the SERT and 204's. I am running a pretty flat torque curve. I am very happy with how it runs..

Sorry for the crappy picture but my scanner is broken.

Attached Thumbnails Would you recommend the SE255, SE204, or HQ500 for my needs?-96-w-204.jpg  
Old 10-13-2009, 09:18 AM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm happy with the 255's.

I run the PCV with AT, but just for curiosity I may have my local guy run it on the dyno to see some numbers. I have not changed teh target AFR that Fuelmoto set in the PCV.

I never get fuel mileage like some you report. I got about 37 average before the cam swap and get about the same now, just no more heat issues and lots more grunt where I need it.

Our fuel is all blended here, or in most places anyway and I do tend to run 75+ on the highway. Running in to a head wind my mileage will drop to 30.

Just for comparison, On my 06 Heritage my average MPG was between 38 and 42. So my fuel mileage probably has a lot to do with my riding style.

Quick Reply: Would you recommend the SE255, SE204, or HQ500 for my needs?