Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOLVED - RH passenger board ViBrAtEs (bad)??

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 01:15 PM
4x4Given
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOLVED - RH passenger board ViBrAtEs (bad)??

I just bought a (nice) '95 Ultra and the other evening I took the love of my life for a ride. Well within a block she asked me why the RH footboard was vibrating a LOT more than the LH. Hmmm.... She said it was enought that it was uncomfortable. So last night, I was riding home from work and I flipped 'em down and set my feet back there and sure enough, the RH board vibrates pretty darn bad (about 2x - 3x harder than the LH) from about 1,200 RPM up to about 2,400 RPM. Below or above that range, they are about the same and not really an issue.

Oh... the passenger boards are factory and the mounting bolts are tight. The front boards, which are after market (not sure of the brand) and are what I would call "floating" (dual plate with rubber isolators in between) and they are *SM-O-O-O-O-OTH.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Witty, entertaining remarks are also appreciated.

Old 06-30-2006, 01:25 PM
mcman
Cruiser
Default RE: RH passenger board ViBrAtEs (bad)??

Haven't got a clue on that one. My wife hasn't said anything about vibration in the footborads. We just picked up our '06 Ultra a few days ago. Still trying to get the Tourpak extension ordered and installed and trying to keep from taking the lowers off because of the heat for the wife. I do believe they have solved the heat problem for the rider with the vented lowers but the little wife is still getting blistered from the reay cylinder.

Old 06-30-2006, 01:36 PM
4x4Given
Tourer

I don't have the lowers on mine (I think the original owner removed them) and yeah, Tina said that at slow speeds, she was getting a LOT of heat on her right calf. Of course she was wearing sandals and capris too. I told her that shoes, socks and jeans would prevent that.

I'm going to start with a close instpection of the motor/trans/swing arm mounts and if I can't identify the cause, I will probably install a set of floaters like I have on the front.

Old 07-01-2006, 06:13 PM
4x4Given
Tourer

Problem solved. Duh! The mounting bolts were a little loose. Tightened them up and no more vibes!

Old 07-02-2006, 01:21 AM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Great news!

And I'm liking the look of your ride. I was wondering how an Ultra would look with wide white walls. Sweet!

Old 07-02-2006, 02:06 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: FireHawk

Great news!

And I'm liking the look of your ride. I was wondering how an Ultra would look with wide white walls. Sweet!

I agree, showed the wife and she is in love. Really sharp looking ride. Glad you found the problem.

Old 07-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: 4x4Given

Problem solved. Duh! The mounting bolts were a little loose. Tightened them up and no more vibes!

Glad to hear you found and fixed the problem.
Iam sure your wife wouldn't have liked my solution..........pull the rear footboards and install a solo seat