Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Myrtle Beach helmet law shot down

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:54 PM
bldap
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Myrtle Beach helmet law shot down

Just read in the American Motorcyclist magazine that the SC Supreme Court struck down the Myrtle Beach law that required riders to wear helmets within the Myrtle Beach City limits. It stated "We find that the City Helmet Ordinance fails under implied field preemption due to the need for statewide uniformity and therefore issue a declaratory judgment invalidating the ordinance."

Looks like a loss for Myrtle Beach!

Old 07-12-2010, 03:57 PM
tzman
Cruiser

Yea for them. It is about time they (city council and mayor) got shot down!

Old 07-12-2010, 04:00 PM
woodeyewetzel
Tourer

I am so glad about this. I will never go to bike week again there. The people are asses and the most unfriendly people I have met. I spent over $3000 there three yrs ago

Old 07-12-2010, 09:22 PM
nchogfan
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was in North Myrtle during the 4th of July and still didn't spend any $$$$$ in Myrtle Beach. I don't plan to ever stay there again, even when I'm in my SUV instead of on my bike. If they don't want me there when I'm on my bike, they don't deserve me at all. I'll stay north or south of MB.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:28 PM
artz
Road Master

who needs'em... may they get alot of harsh, bad weather.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:58 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Some friends were in the area for the 4th as well and said they are still pulling bikers over for not having helments, when does the override take place?

Old 07-13-2010, 04:55 AM
bldap
Tourer

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
Some friends were in the area for the 4th as well and said they are still pulling bikers over for not having helments, when does the override take place?
Article didn't give dates but would think it's in effect the day of the ruling. Think I'll cut the article out and put it in my bag. Then take a ride down without the helmet on and when pulled over hand the po-po the article. I probably should make a phone call to make sure the ruling is in effect first!

Old 07-13-2010, 07:54 AM
NCtaxguy
Intermediate
Default You "No Helmet" Guys are CRAZY!!!!!

We just spent several days in the Chicago area and I saw so many riders without helmets on that it almost made me sick. I wouldn't ride my scoot around my subdivision without a helmet on, let alone the Interstate at 80 mph.

I understand the personal freedom aspect and that the 'gubment' can't control you in your personal space, but come on. Your brain is the most important part of your body. I'd rather have every bone in my body break and not be a vegetable than feel a little "wind in my hair".

Just my humble opinion though.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:56 AM
mjelson
Cruiser

I think it should be up to the individual. If you don't want to wear one, so be it. Choice!

Old 07-13-2010, 08:18 AM
ncdan
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in south myrtle the day the anouncement was made that the law had failed. The mayor was interviewed and he made the statement on tv that the city still had 16 other laws to use on mc riders. I personally wont spend another cent in the city limits.

Quick Reply: Myrtle Beach helmet law shot down