Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for Touring bike riders without ABS

Old 11-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Question for Touring bike riders without ABS

I read most of the post about ABS on here. I would like to know if anybody riding a big touring bike has locked their front or rear tire with two up. I believe in ABS. I bought my 09 EGC before I thought about it seriously.(my mistake) I called the dealer to see if I could add it. He said no. I even asked about trading for another 09 with ABS. Yes you can with about 4500.00 difference. I'm retired and do most of my riding during the week on back mountain roads, but occasionally we do ride with friends on weekends. I've been lucky so far with no emergency stop's. I am wondering with the weight of the bike with two up, can the wheels be locked? Has anyone experienced this? Thanks in advance for all responses.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:13 AM
SteveB FLH
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I have locked up the rear brakes riding two up a few times. The times that I recall have been at intersections where the lights changed quickly and I had just enough speed to lock it up needing to stop. Also adverse conditions like oil or rain on the pavement tend to enhance a skid. Never locked the front....don't want to.....

Old 11-11-2009, 11:19 AM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up Lock up

I have a 2009 FLHTCU Non-ABS.. Yes you can Lock up F/R...

If I need to lock up the rear to get the bike on the ground...say not to hit a car, Non-ABS is the only way to go....

I rode my buddies ABS and was able to get the rear brake to lock up...DO NOT do this nor will I tell you how... but can be done...

Having raced Motocross forever, I want to control my stopping, this is the feeling I like.

I had the ABS "Linked Barking System" on my 2002 Goldwing... I never really like it.

Practice...go to a School...parking lot and learn your bike / brakes....

Originally Posted by Ronp42
I read most of the post about ABS on here. I would like to know if anybody riding a big touring bike has locked their front or rear tire with two up. I believe in ABS. I bought my 09 EGC before I thought about it seriously.(my mistake) I called the dealer to see if I could add it. He said no. I even asked about trading for another 09 with ABS. Yes you can with about 4500.00 difference. I'm retired and do most of my riding during the week on back mountain roads, but occasionally we do ride with friends on weekends. I've been lucky so far with no emergency stop's. I am wondering with the weight of the bike with two up, can the wheels be locked? Has anyone experienced this? Thanks in advance for all responses.

Last edited by trackadaptor; 11-11-2009 at 11:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-11-2009, 11:22 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,023 Posts

I locked the front wheel coming up to a red light way too fast. The front wheel turned to the left and the bike went down on the right side. I had slowed down enough that the bike slide about 10 feet and there was very little damage to it or me. Never done it before or since in over 300K of riding, and don't want to either.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:23 AM
bpez317
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like having more control so ABS doesn't work for me. Not fond of it in cages either.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by trackadaptor

If I need to lock up the rear to get the bike on the ground...say not to hit a car, Non-ABS is the only way to go....

I rode my buddies ABS and was able to get the rear brake to lock up...DO NOT do this nor will I tell you how... but can be done...

Having raced Motocross forever, I want to control my stopping, this is the feeling I like.

I had the ABS "Linked Barking System" on my 2002 Goldwing... I never really like it.

Practice...go to a School...parking lot and learn your bike / brakes....
Thanks for the good info. I'm also a long time bike rider and raced back in the 70's. I owned sport bikes before this bagger and hardly ever two up. I had some close calls way back while riding my Sportster and Dyna. l was lucky to have the reflex's and skill to keep from going down. I'm older now and retired. my wife loves to ride with me and I sure don't want to hurt her or myself. It took some getting used to this heavier bike and two up. I almost dropped it in a turn around on a hill. I've been riding it for a year now and feel comfortable riding. just a little concerned after reading all the post on ABS. Thanks again!!!

Old 11-11-2009, 12:19 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts
Talking

The only reason I'm glad I have ABS is for resale, cause so many think that without it they can't apply the brakes without crashing. Pulled the fuse long ago.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I didn't get it on my 09 even though it was available. I know my bike and have practiced panic stops to the point of just locking the rear wheel. I feel confident in my ability to handle the braking chores without the computer deciding how to do it. Would I buy a bike with it? Yes if I wanted that bike and it was on it already. I didn't get the security system either.

Bubba

Old 11-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I locked both front and rear up on the parkway when a racoon darted in front of me. Bike danced somewhat but did not go down.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Apex Rider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trackadaptor

I have to call BS on that.

I would like to know how putting a bike down on it's side and sliding down the street metal against concrete out of control,is going to avoid a car and/or stop faster than countersteering and thresehold braking ?

Last edited by Apex Rider; 11-11-2009 at 05:54 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question for Touring bike riders without ABS