Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alaska-Dalton Highway

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 09:06 PM
TA
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alaska-Dalton Highway

Looking for any first hand accounts of travel between Fairbanks and Prudhoe Bay. I know it's one gas stop only. Am I crazy to attempt with an Electraglide on that kind of road surface?
If I survive, how long a trip round trip?

Old 11-14-2009, 09:49 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My first hand account of travel between Fairbanks and Prudhoe Bay was from a 747 out of Anchorage.
Why the hell are you going to Prudhoe Bay?
If you're riding your Electraglide to Fairbanks just keep going.
How much riding have you done on gravel?

Old 11-14-2009, 10:15 PM
LVRider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TA
Looking for any first hand accounts of travel between Fairbanks and Prudhoe Bay. I know it's one gas stop only. Am I crazy to attempt with an Electraglide on that kind of road surface?
If I survive, how long a trip round trip?
Check out the ADVRider forum.... I have read many ride reports on the Dalton...BMW RT to KLR 650... some really good tips..pics

Old 11-14-2009, 11:10 PM
Depmodeche
1st Gear

I did it on my bagger. It's a breeze... provided you can ride on gravel. The road is as damn near as challenging as it gets. Banked the wrong way... loose gravel... sharp curves... sheep drop-offs... trucks HAULING *** PAST you... but it's certainly ride-able.

You ride about 30 MPH and pull over when you see the dust cloud ahead or behind you. There's a truck inside that cloud and they just wanna get past you. They will NOT slow down. As long as you're patient, you'll make it.

The gas station is at the Yukon River and they will let you fill up their five gallon can and leave it behind the building if you'll be passing by ON YOUR WAY BACK after they've closed.

Road service to get towed off of their is expensive as hell, I would bring a good tire repair kit and a way to fill the tire up. Flats are common but I had no problems at all.

DEFINETLY bring a fly mask for your head. The mosquitos and flies are enormous and they were still buzzing around me when I was in 2nd gear!

I saw a huge grizzly and a bunch of other animals.

It's a very cool road... as long as you can ride on gravel!

Ride safe!

Dep

www.depmodeche.blogspot.com

Old 11-15-2009, 12:44 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I did the ride this year but we only went to the Arctic Circle spot due to limited time. The first gas just north of Fairbanks is the Hilltop station. Then just before the Arctic Circle is another one. I think that there is one at Deadhorse. I'll check the Mile Post book and post back. My two sons and I carried a total of four gallons in one gallon containers ( Wally World) One son was on a 06 Street Bob, I was on a Buell Ulysses and the other son was on a BMW (it's his mothers fault). We never came close to needing the gas but it was a good idea.

This is the sign to the station/motel/restaurant near the Arctic Circle. Hamburgers are $20 there. Didn't need gas so I don't know what they asked for that but it was over $6/gallon on the Alaskan Highway in the Rockies in B.C. That's the Dalton haul road in back of the sign. It was in the best condition ever due to the low traffic because of the economy.

Last edited by lh4x4; 11-15-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:52 AM
teqsand
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

So the ride from Fairbanks to the circle is paved or gravel? how long is the ride?

Old 11-15-2009, 01:08 AM
Depmodeche
1st Gear

From Fairbanks to the START of the Dalton Highway is paved, but from the start of the Dalton to the end (at Prudhoe Bay) is gravel. I think it was around 400 miles from the start of the Dalton to Prudhoe Bay, and the Arctic Circle is around MM 120. (Mile markers start at the south end of the Dalton)

The Milepost is a guide that tell you what is at every mile of each road in Alaska and along the Alaska Highway. It's a MUST HAVE!

There are plenty of websites too that will tell you the location, hours, etc., of everything on the Dalton.

Dep

www.depmodeche.blogspot.com

Old 12-13-2009, 10:11 PM
TA
Novice
Default Alaska-Dalton

Thanks for the feedback one and all.
No, I haven't ever ridden on gravel and an Ultra carrying extra weight of gasoline for 800 miles round trip on gravel worries me plenty. Flat tire, rain ... Riders have told me anything from "I've done it and you're crazy" to "I've done, difficult, but you can do it".
Some of these things you do, not because it's a walk in the park like cruising the Calif coast. You do it because it borders on both terror and exhilaration and you have it as part of you the rest of your life.
But, there is a limit. I just haven't figured out if mine is taking an Ultra on the Dalton Hwy.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:46 PM
swlamedic
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is my dream to take my Ultra down the Dalton Highway. I only want to go to the Arctic circle though. You should pick up a book called "Life is a Road". There he talks about his trip from Dallas, Texas to Alaska. It is pretty crazy, but just reading it will motivate you get get on and ride.

BTW, he rides a Valkyrie.

http://lifeisaroad.com/

You can read some shorts from his book, but I'd suggest to get the book. He has four books, and I am not sure which one has his Alaska trip in it, but he combined all four of his books into one big book with larger print, and that is the one I bought.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:19 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Well didnt go to Prudhoe bay but did ride through Fairbanks from Fla, teh Alcan will prep you for a challenge. Heard that if it is dry its doable if wet could be a prob. I regret not heading to teh circle but I ran out of time so I will have to do again soon.

Quick Reply: Alaska-Dalton Highway