Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear tire cupping?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear tire cupping?

If the front tire on the 09s cup because the tread pattern is the wrong way, wouldn’t it then be reasonable that the rear tire would also cup because the tread is going the same way? If not, why not? I had the front tire replaced due to the cupping and while gassing up coming back from a ride it hit me…”What about the rear tire?” It kind of looks like it is, but I am not a tire guy so I really can’t tell.

Any help would appreciated, thanks

Old 11-17-2009, 03:42 PM
mkbrower
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are some 09's with cupped rear tires. I guess I am fortunate in that my rear still looks great at 11k miles. I don't think cupping of the rear is as wide spread as the front tire.

Mark

Old 11-17-2009, 03:56 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

The cupping has to do with the rake/trail and the braking forces applied to the front tire the rear does not have the same forces , like when you apply the brakes the front tire has more weight on it , the rear tire has less. The rear tire never goes in a off axis position in a turn like the front does in relationship to the chassis. This would be my best explanation.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Gearhead3
Road Captain

My rear tire has cupped. Of course, it has 18,400 miles on it, so I'm not complaining. It howls like a banshee around corners, though.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:11 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Gearhead3
My rear tire has cupped. Of course, it has 18,400 miles on it, so I'm not complaining. It howls like a banshee around corners, though.
It is possible that your rear tire is worn out.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:20 PM
dstockton
Road Warrior

My front and rear are cupped pretty badly but I have over 16K miles on them. They make noise and I can tell it rolling the bike around but it doesn't seem to affect handling any more than a flattened worn out tire does anyway. Still lots of tread on the front and 3/32" on the rear, wear bars are not showing yet. I'll change them sometime before my annual Bike Week.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:36 PM
BDHE
Cruiser

Folks;

At only 6,100 miles, my '09 rear tire is as cupped as the paddle tires on a sand dragster. I'm actually thinking about going ahead with a wheel change before I pay for another junk tire that I HAVE to purchase from a Harley dealer.

It's not possible to get any other tires to run on the stock '09 wheels unless you pay too much at the dealership.

Bryon

Old 11-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdawg
If the front tire on the 09s cup because the tread pattern is the wrong way, wouldn’t it then be reasonable that the rear tire would also cup because the tread is going the same way? If not, why not? I had the front tire replaced due to the cupping and while gassing up coming back from a ride it hit me…”What about the rear tire?” It kind of looks like it is, but I am not a tire guy so I really can’t tell.

Any help would appreciated, thanks
The Dealer that does my service just replaced both front and rear on my 09 EGC under warranty because of cupping and vibration/noise. He put a 408F on the front, the back is the same 407. He said to run 38 PSI in the front and 40 rear. He suggested adding a couple of pounds if I were riding 2 up.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
The Dealer that does my service just replaced both front and rear on my 09 EGC under warranty because of cupping and vibration/noise. He put a 408F on the front, the back is the same 407. He said to run 38 PSI in the front and 40 rear. He suggested adding a couple of pounds if I were riding 2 up.

Forgot to mention I had almost 12K miles on my old tires. He said mileage didn't matter the 407F tires on the 09 touring were a problem.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:34 PM
herkdavis
Cruiser

My rear tire is cupped on the sides just like the last one.

Quick Reply: Rear tire cupping?