Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE 255 Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 09:29 AM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 482 Likes on 345 Posts

+1 on the "growing old is just a state of mind" part! LOL

B

Old 11-26-2009, 09:40 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lifters: I didn't replace the lifters because I thought they might fail. I'd read on here and talked to professional builders who said that when changing cams, you should change the lifters as well. Evidently this is done with cars as well. The issue is that the lifters/cams wear against each other and can create wear patterns. If replacing new on used, this can cause problems. I had a lot of miles on my bike at 34K. I checked the used SE cams (only 2400 miles on them) and didn't see wear issues with those, but chose the change the lifters to be on the safe side.
The crowd I hang with use 10k miles as the deciding factor, when changing cams. Anywhere near that mileage and the lifters get changed with the cams. Not so much the mating surface, as the risk of failure. GM lifters or not, these are not GM motors.

Low cost, low labor if done with the cams. Cheap insurance!

These are the same lifters used in modern GM cars and trucks, which often go 100k's of miles without lifter problems. How many of these vehicles have you heard of that've had lifters replaced?
I hear of these "same lifters as GM" failing often enough in the HD application of them. Do you not ever hear of a lifter failure on a Harley????

Apples and Oranges.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:46 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
I hear of these "same lifters as GM" failing often enough in the HD application of them. Do you not ever hear of a lifter failure on a Harley????
I can't say I've known anyone who's had a lifter problem, at least not since the "big axle" lifters were introduced in the mid-'90's. Bearing failures were fairly common with the "small-axle" type, but they haven't made those in 15 years or so. I also haven't heard of many problems reported on the forums, but I'm sure like any other mechanical component some do fail. What might apply is the "if it ain't broke..." principle, as if they are working properly you may replace one or more with a defective lifter that won't, although I'll admit that's a long-shot.

I replaced the original big-axle lifters in my '96 RK at 65k as a precaution, left the second set in the bike up to 106k when I sold the bike (41k miles later), and they are still there at 120k even though the idiot new owner ran it low on oil for a short period. "It really rattled...." Yeah, I guess it did.

I won't fault anyone for changing theirs during a cam change, but I feel it isn't warranted in most cases, although I'm not sure what mileage would be the cut-off point for me to feel a lifter change was necessary.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:03 AM
patriotmc
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't worried about failure of the lifters. Most of the builders I spoke to and my HD wrench suggested that new lifters would mitigate issues with different wear patterns. I'm not a wrench, but as I understand it, the lifters and cams ride on each other and can create wear patterns. Replacing one or the other without the wear patterns can create gaps. Don't know what gaps cause, but I figured that since I had everything opened up, I'd take out the insurance plan. BTW, I'm the one that asked my HD wrench about it... he hadn't brought it up.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:24 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by patriotmc
I'm not a wrench, but as I understand it, the lifters and cams ride on each other and can create wear patterns. Replacing one or the other without the wear patterns can create gaps. Don't know what gaps cause, but I figured that since I had everything opened up, I'd take out the insurance plan. BTW, I'm the one that asked my HD wrench about it... he hadn't brought it up.
First, I don't want to come across as denigrating those who decide to change lifters with cams, as I don't think it is the wrong decision. I also don't think it is necessarily the wrong decision to elect not to replace them, which is the route I chose.

I don't think "wear patterns" are an issue for roller tappets like they would be for flat-tappets. I've been told that wear is minimal for the roller tappets and cams, and when I replaced mine on my old RK at 65k I saw no wear on the cams or lifter rollers at all. I changed them only because I didn't know if the bike had the old "small-axle" lifters installed, which were known to fail, but even though it had the newer big-axle type I changed them anyway. I installed new lifters on the Andrews EV13 cams that had been in the bike for >50k miles and the bike is still running fine today on that second set of lifters at 120k miles. Had wear patterns been an issue I think it would've shown up by now on that bike.

Last edited by iclick; 11-29-2009 at 04:28 PM.