Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke damage on chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 10:47 AM
Beezza
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Insurance

Originally Posted by deadbroke
There was a fire in the service department of the dealership where I worked . My Tool box and tools sustained heavy smoke damage. Although I was able to clean up everything all the chrome appeared etched. I can only assume that the burning materials caused a corrosive vapor. No water was on or in my tool box.
As TXSTGLIDE stated - insurance companies should be setup to understand how chrome is affected by contaminates once steam and condensation get mixed-in with fire generated toxins. Imagine what you get when a workshop or garage burns - airborne products of combustion such as: tar, oil and all manner of toxic gases. Mix that up with steam from the fire-fighting and you mess-up the chrome and other metals. If chrome is a feature of the Harley, then at the very least, I would get all the chrome and metal components replaced. i.e. swapped-out on a 'like for like' basis. That's why we have insurance a'int it