Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King or Fat Boy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 08:19 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got rid of the king for an electra glide classic.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:21 AM
TittiesOnTwo
Road Master

I don't have a Fatboy but I do have a Xbones which is in the Softail family. It was my first bike. After I got confident enough on it I tried my ex's Road King and now I am wishing I had bought an RK or a Street Glide. As a former sportbike rider I can ride that RK just about as nimble as anything else (within reason). I wouldn't give up my Xbones but I am now in a hurry to pay it off so I can get one of the others.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:28 AM
John10962
Cruiser

For years I wanted a Fatboy, rented one in Vegas it was ok. Could have better brakes and bike not happy doing 70 mph two felt like something was holding it back. Then rode a King, hands down much better bike. Brakes, handles and runs better on highway.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:34 AM
smokewagon
Advanced

What I mean by "thumpiness" is both the motor vibration and the low rumbling exhaust note, as opposed to the louder pipes on the Fat Boy. The FatBoy felt like a metric bike but sure sounded like a H-D - but the exhaust noise that everyone loves about Harleys is the one thing I don't like, so I really noticed it. I would get dual pipes for the Fat Boy; on a RK I'd probably just go with some modest fishtail slip on caps and leave the stock exhaust.
I'd add a bunch of "Road Kingesque" details to a Fat Boy, from exhaust to running lights, and eventually look for spoke wheels & whitewals … not sure what I'd change on a Road King; I would like the ability to run w/out bags if I wanted .
I didn't realize the RK had more clearance on turns? They're ground clearance is listed as the same; do the FBs boards stick out further or something?

Old 12-01-2009, 08:39 AM
TittiesOnTwo
Road Master

The ex's RK sat up noticeably higher then my Xbones though when I am riding agressively I drag the foot boards on both

Old 12-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I was in the same position as you. I was told not to buy a Touring bike for my first Harley........bull crap. I should have bought the Touring bike first. Salesmen are idiots as I found out and try to sell you what they drive. I talked to 4 salesmen and they all recommend a different bike for me.

I bought the Fat Boy because like you, I didn't like the all the studs and wire wheels on the Heritage. But I added both saddlebags and a windshield anyway and never rode without either one. I changed the wheels so that would have been an easy (but expensive fix) on the Heritage.

The Fat Boy feels nimble??? The Road King will out-corner the Fat Boy on any road.

After 8,000 miles on the Fat Boy I was trying to figure out some way to put a cruise control on it. Then I road a Road King at a demo days once and I never got 2 miles down the road and I knew the Touring bikes where for me.

Buy a Touring bike, especially a '09 or newer.

Last edited by Texas Fat Boy; 12-01-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by smokewagon
The Fat Boy felt more nimble & light, but I liked the solid feel of the Road King … I liked the thumpiness of the Road King motor, and the softer exhaust noise too.
As you noticed, the FB will be a better run around bike while the RK will be a better two-up tourer.

But about the thumpiness, the rubber-mounted RK motor will bounce around a lot more at idle but once you start moving it becomes glass smooth. Too smooth in my opinion, almost like it's not a twin. I much prefer the way the solid mounted B-motor delivers the V-twin power pulses once underway. You can really feel those two jugs thumping away!

Old 12-01-2009, 09:34 AM
keltonkrew
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was actually looking at a Fatboy as well. Talked to Sales guy on phone, asked about my size, weight, etc...said I'd be better off on a Heritage...so off I went to buy a Heritage....well after getting to the dealer, then riding the King... I'm so glad I bought the King.....but to make up for it, my wife ended up 5 months later buying the Heritage lol!

the King is so versitile. plus any distance riding 2 up you'll really love the King!

Old 12-01-2009, 09:37 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another Road King choice here.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:40 AM
chance
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first Harley was a FatBoy... Back then, my purchase was based more on the bike's looks, and it was a very popular model... In later years, I purchased a Road King and after doing so, hardly ever rode the FatBoy... I much preferred the comforts of the King over the FatBoy... riding position, suspension, handling, two-up etc...

I really enjoyed the FatBoy, it was a beautiful bike, but I really enjoy riding the touring models more, especially the older I get...

Quick Reply: Road King or Fat Boy?