Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Filed Excessive Heat Complaint with NHTSA

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 03:49 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Filed Excessive Heat Complaint with NHTSA

After months of getting nowhere with Harley’s Customer Service and listening to their constant denial that 2009 V-twins have an excessive heat problem and their insulting B.S mantra that 270-300 degree engine oil temp on an 80-100 degree day is normal; I finally got disgusted and filed an “excessive engine heat” complaint with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) www.nhtsa.dot.gov!

I know that several others before me have filed similar complaints with NHTSA but being a devoted “Harley Guy” all of my life, I naively thought that MOCA would step up to the plate and resolve this issue! But instead, they stubbornly refuse to even admit that there is a problem despite the fact that several owners including my self have suffered burns on our legs and some owners heave even used an interfered thermometer to record temperature reading of 140 degrees on their jean pants leg! However, Harley still refuses to even acknowledge the problem, (which is insulting and degrading)! How can 140 degrees on your pant leg possibly be NORMAL?

As close as I could get Harley to admit that there is an excessive heat problem… I had had a customer service rep tell me that: “I should remove my lowers when the outside temperatures get above 70 degrees so as to improve my riding comfort”. I asked him to put this recommendation in writing and he refused!

Besides the obvious safety concerns, there is also the question of long term reliability (long term being defined as warranty expiration) of these hot running engines? There have been hundreds of complaints just on this forum about engine oil boiling and escaping through the air cleaner and now another common occurrence on the late model 103’s is “galling of the spark plugs”. Some owners have reported “galled” spark plugs at as little as 1,000 miles; more evidence that these late model V-twins are running too dang hot! Because of the CATs on the 2010 models, the 10’ run even hotter, so you folks with new bikes; just wait until summer to find out that you can’t enjoy your new toy on a warm, made for riding summer day!

It is painfully apparent that the only way we are going to get Harley to address this serious heat issue is to have “Big Brother” force them to do so! If you are like me and tired of the insulting B.S, tired of the heat discomfort and the fear of being burned during the summer months prime riding season, don’t want 140 degree jean pant leg, don’t feel that you should have to remove the lowers on a very expensive bike and are concerned that the excessive heat will shorten the life of your engine…than join me in filing a complaint with www.nhtsa.dot.gov; it takes less than 3 minutes to complete the form. There is strength in numbers and maybe, just maybe together we can get this problem rectified!

Thanks and have a great Holiday Season!

Old 12-11-2009, 03:54 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

An air cooled motor between your legs gets hot? Who woulda thunk?

Old 12-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you serious? Unbelievable.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Old 12-11-2009, 04:02 PM
SeanEMac
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hope this is a joke - if not, you're a loser.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:06 PM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member

Betta dollar your a lawyer! Call Oboma he ain't doing nothing nohow! Yeah I gotta degree in inglis

Old 12-11-2009, 04:07 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking Somebody pass me a beer. This is gonna get uuuuugly!!!

Originally Posted by TheJimer
After months of getting nowhere with Harley’s Customer Service and listening to their constant denial that 2009 V-twins have an excessive heat problem and their insulting B.S mantra that 270-300 degree engine oil temp on an 80-100 degree day is normal; I finally got disgusted and filed an “excessive engine heat” complaint with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) www.nhtsa.dot.gov!

I know that several others before me have filed similar complaints with NHTSA but being a devoted “Harley Guy” all of my life, I naively thought that MOCA would step up to the plate and resolve this issue! But instead, they stubbornly refuse to even admit that there is a problem despite the fact that several owners including my self have suffered burns on our legs and some owners heave even used an interfered thermometer to record temperature reading of 140 degrees on their jean pants leg! However, Harley still refuses to even acknowledge the problem, (which is insulting and degrading)! How can 140 degrees on your pant leg possibly be NORMAL?

As close as I could get Harley to admit that there is an excessive heat problem… I had had a customer service rep tell me that: “I should remove my lowers when the outside temperatures get above 70 degrees so as to improve my riding comfort”. I asked him to put this recommendation in writing and he refused!

Besides the obvious safety concerns, there is also the question of long term reliability (long term being defined as warranty expiration) of these hot running engines? There have been hundreds of complaints just on this forum about engine oil boiling and escaping through the air cleaner and now another common occurrence on the late model 103’s is “galling of the spark plugs”. Some owners have reported “galled” spark plugs at as little as 1,000 miles; more evidence that these late model V-twins are running too dang hot! Because of the CATs on the 2010 models, the 10’ run even hotter, so you folks with new bikes; just wait until summer to find out that you can’t enjoy your new toy on a warm, made for riding summer day!

It is painfully apparent that the only way we are going to get Harley to address this serious heat issue is to have “Big Brother” force them to do so! If you are like me and tired of the insulting B.S, tired of the heat discomfort and the fear of being burned during the summer months prime riding season, don’t want 140 degree jean pant leg, don’t feel that you should have to remove the lowers on a very expensive bike and are concerned that the excessive heat will shorten the life of your engine…than join me in filing a complaint with www.nhtsa.dot.gov; it takes less than 3 minutes to complete the form. There is strength in numbers and maybe, just maybe together we can get this problem rectified!

Thanks and have a great Holiday Season!

Last edited by UltraKla$$ic; 12-11-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:15 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
An air cooled motor between your legs gets hot? Who woulda thunk?
Air cooled yes but I had 6 other Harley's and never saw 300 degree engine oil temps before! That is NOT normal!

This is not a 2000 or 1977 problem it is a 2008, 2009, 2010 and future problem...if we let them!!!!!!!

Thanks for your support!

Old 12-11-2009, 04:15 PM
hddan502
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go electric or water cooled. This is no place for heat complaints.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:16 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior

biting my tongue......hard!

Quick Reply: Filed Excessive Heat Complaint with NHTSA