Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear ended Friday morning

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 09:48 AM
mestude
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear ended Friday morning

I got rear ended Friday morning on my way to work and I was on the bike. I was almost at a complete stop. Then without warning or brake squeal, I was impacted from behind from a Ram pickup. I have a driver's backrest, after the inertia and harshness of the original impact, it knocked my helmet off and then threw me forward and my head broke the back hatch window of the car in front of me. I'm very thankful as this could have been much worse. The bike may be totaled 2005 road glide 90000 miles, although has added tour pack custom paint job, dipped inner fairing and stereo upgrade. . So my Back is fractured in 3 spots. L1 and L2 are fractured, however will heal fine, but The t10 is fractured thru the block and getting percutaneous spinal fusion today at 6pm (South East michigan). Wondering if anyone has had any total claims paid by progressive, and how it was. I know mileage varies. My prognosis is very positive, I'm a pretty healthy, big, strong guy. Hopefully with in 4 to 6 weeks in back to day to day life.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:56 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I am glad your prognosis is good. Sounds like it could have been much worse.

Sorry no progressive advice, but I have a question regarding your injuries.
Do they attribute your back fractures specifically to the backrest?

Old 06-07-2016, 09:58 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Forget the claim. Lawyer up. Get bike in a safe storage area that charges a ship load. Get healthy first. Don't sign or talk to anybody till you get a lawyer. This will impact your life forever . Backs are not fun. Good luck friend!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Bumpandrun:
EJ122763 (06-08-2016), jerseyjeff62 (06-08-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 09:59 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba11
I am glad your prognosis is good. Sounds like it could have been much worse.

Sorry no progressive advice, but I have a question regarding your injuries.
Do they attribute your back fractures specifically to the backrest?
Glad to hear the prognosis is good. I too have the same question about the backrest.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:01 AM
HDogg
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Really sorry to hear of your mishap but I'm glad to know you'd recover well.I'm wondering if the Neanderthal in the pick up was busy looking at his/her cell phone.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:02 AM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 144 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
Forget the claim. Lawyer up. Get bike in a safe storage area that charges a ship load. Get healthy first. Don't sign or talk to anybody till you get a lawyer. This will impact your life forever . Backs are not fun. Good luck friend!!
I gotta agree here. This isn't a frivolous suit. I don't know how old you are, but these injuries hurt when you get older. Ask me how I know. Just make sure you get a fair shake.

eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,131 Likes on 762 Posts

Sorry for your accident man. Get a lawyer ASAP. Hopefully your fine in the time frame you stated. Good DR. first then a good lawyer

Allen Riggs
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

x2 Lawyer up. I did and I am glad that I did.

Joker

Old 06-07-2016, 10:11 AM
kishstl
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I have to say that I completely and totally agree with this. You will have no idea what the outcome and long term effects of these injuries will be and they could be quite costly. i.e. chronic pain, inability to ride your bike on longer road trips, problems sitting at work or worse if you're in higher activity professions. I have very close first hand knowledge of this and it ain't pretty. The insurance company will do everything in their power to get you to accept a claim and it can and usually does impact your ability to receive further compensation. (again first hand knowledge..."why did you accept this estimate and now later come back to try and get more money from this individual" said directly to the jury) I'm not saying sue sue sue, but we don't understand how impactful the recorded conversations had with an adjuster are and they are trained to ask questions in such a way that seemingly simple answers when read to a jury in transcript sound different. This has been a 4 year process for my friend and it could have been much simpler if these issues had been dealt with properly in the first place. My buddy tried to be a good guy and didn't want to take advantage of the situation for gain and when problems arose directly form this accident, trust me, the insurance company had ZERO desire to do the right thing like he did. I was right beside him and it cold have been me but unfortunately we all learned a little too late about how the system works and who it works for.

Last edited by kishstl; 06-07-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:13 AM
Dobe66
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Heed this advice.

The body has an amazing memory. It WILL remind you later that what seemed OK after surgery and healing when you were young and strong didn't quite hold up to expectations. For now be thankful that your prognosis is so good.

The following users liked this post:
rgbch3b (06-09-2016)

Quick Reply: Rear ended Friday morning