Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiregard tire pressure monitor review

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Skulmn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tiregard tire pressure monitor review

Hey all:

Just wanted to mention a pretty cool product I picked up.

It is Tiregard by showchrome.

It is a RF tire pressure monitor. It uses wireless valve caps to send tire info. to the key chain receiver.

The data it gives is current pressure and current tire temperature. In addition, it is programmable, very easy actually, to show high and low pressures per tire as well as temp.

Installation is as easy as screwing on the valve caps and setting the warnings. It is important that the valve stems on your wheels are metal. I was actually surprised that the stems on my tubed tires were metal. Rubber stems could cause flex with the added weight of the valve cap and tear. The valve caps also have a "security lock" so as to prevent theft.

Performance is within a pound or so depending on your tire gauge. I've never seen two gauges alike but the sensor/caps seem to be accurate. The best part of the system is that if pressure starts to drop it gives you an instant warning with the pressure as well as sound and buzz if you could hear it.

In the real world with my limited testing, the unit works well. The sensors "go to sleep" automatically and are rated at a 2yr battery life with easily replaceable button type cells, we'll see. The key chain remote works with a triple A battery.

I bought the unit because it has dropped in price significantly from when it was introduced. I bought it from fastcycleparts.com and got the best price and service.

To me safety was the greatest concern. Being that we are on two wheels, I want to know if I have an impending tire failure. Especially with tubed tires. A test of letting out air or removing the valve cap gives an immediate "low pressure" warning. It is also cool to know the tire pressure on an on-going basis.

Overall, I am happy with the system and what it does.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the write. I have beed interested in this system since I saw a write up in some biker mag I was getting. But I never trust write ups. You never really see a bad one. Except for the guy who rode the new 2010 Road Glide....and I'm sure he never had a clue if the shocks had any air in them.

I ride the bike too often to check the air every time I ride. But I have been on a ride and said "Hum that feels kinda funny, I wonder if I have a low tire?" Then it turn out just a bad groove in the road or was it?

So this looks good to me. One quick look before every ride. Just like putting a helmet on.

I will order one this weekend, if I don't forget. lol

Old 12-19-2009, 09:55 AM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the info, would be kind of nice to just push and look, I really only check my pressure about once a week so this would be nice. How much?

Old 12-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Skulmn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe that the current price is $159.00.. from fastcycleparts.com.

I don't work for them nor am I affiliated...But, the owner, Rob, is one of the better people I've dealt with "on-line" and that earns a HIGH recommendation.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:07 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Man oh Man...you guys just keep costing me more money. I got to find a new place to hang out!
Cool product..thanks for posting.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:22 AM
crackercap
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hanging out on this forum can get expensive but I must remain frugal, retired.....

Old 12-19-2009, 10:57 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member

Received 697 Likes on 359 Posts

I check once a week and do the ole tire kick before I start out each time. Anyone know if they have a "visual indicating" valve cap? I'd like to get something but I don't want to keep up w/ a receiver.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tas_todd
I check once a week and do the ole tire kick before I start out each time. Anyone know if they have a "visual indicating" valve cap? I'd like to get something but I don't want to keep up w/ a receiver.
Those things are cheap and end up cracking and loosing air. That's been my experience with them anyway.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Estil
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool product. Guess I'll save my money though......a little too much for me. One good thing about checking tire pressure the old way is it gives the rider the perfect opportunity to check other items, such as tread wear, overall tire condition, spokes, etc.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 309 Likes on 181 Posts

Thanks for the review!

Quick Reply: Tiregard tire pressure monitor review