Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many ride without the crash bar?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

No way without it I wouldn't be alive today if it was the engine guard thank god some one thought of it .Don't want to look tough but safe.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:38 PM
alphadog001
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is staying on.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:58 PM
mech-a-nic
Tourer

Mine Saved the side of my bike in a low speed slide. New bar and a scuff on the bags and eveything else...including my leg good to go. It replaced it ASAP and will not ride without one.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:02 PM
flight
Tourer

Originally Posted by tangeloglide
You can hit an engine guard (crash bar) before your floor boards depending on the camber and grade of the apex of your turn. There was a great article in Motorcyclist magazine a couple years ago where they took action photos of people crashing in turns while riding the Dragon in order to show what people did wrong to cause the crash. Many of those crashes showed people dragging their crash bars and lifting the rear tire...
I read through 5 pages of this thread and cant take it anymore. I respectfully disagree with the fact that the engine gaurd will scrape the ground without the bike being completely on its side. Once they contact the ground you are on your *** sliding next to the bike. Unless someone can show me pictures I do not believe it is possible. Now I need to qualify this claim. Im speaking about the street glide only. I have found the point at which you can not bank the bike anymore on the left side. It will hit the bracket for the floorboard and the front wheel WILL come off of the ground as this happened to me going through an intersection turning left. it scared the **** out of me. On the right side the floor board drags first and I suspect the exact same thing would happen as it happened on the left side. There is simply no way that im aware of to get the back wheel off of the ground by leaning to far, but as mentioned above i know first hand the front will come off of the ground.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:05 PM
flight
Tourer

oops I forgot to mention the baddest SG ive ever seen had no engine gaurd and had forword controls by accutronix.

Steve

Old 04-05-2010, 08:16 PM
BLACK BAGGER
Road Captain

Mine do a fine job of holding up my hiway peg's i think i'll leave them on & there good to have if & when you need them .

Old 04-05-2010, 08:47 PM
SDO6
Intermediate

Mine goes on 15 minutes before a trip and comes off 15 minutes after I get home. Only use it to move my legs around.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:57 PM
crackercap
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wouldn't want to ride without them, saved my engine, etc., on a recent spill, probably saved me and the missus some skin also

Old 04-05-2010, 09:18 PM
faapilot
Cruiser

Speed Kills.....
Ride Smart; Ride Safe

Old 04-05-2010, 09:31 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

when i got my 08 streetglide in feb of 08, riding home the 70 miles, the thought of removing that ugly damm thing came to mind. first thing i gotta do when i get my new bike back to my shop. anyway, while pulling into my acreage, riding slow on the grass to get to my shop, i had the wheel turned to one side, and hit the front brake. uh oh i says to myself, as she turned over. didn't harm anything at all, but that's when i realized that this goofy piece of chrome pipe is there for a reason. i can't imagine how much it'd cost to replace all the parts i'd have screwed up if i'd not had it on there. it's your decision, but for me, i'll keep mine in place, as it's saved me from damage a couple of times since.

Quick Reply: How many ride without the crash bar?