Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many ride without the crash bar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 05:46 PM
pastorralph
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with bikergirl40. Having wrecked a bike due to my own stupidity this summer, I can safely say the engine guards were not my problem. They probably were my knees' salvation. They kept me from hurting myself worse than I did. Just an observation: the pick tangeloglide posted has the wheels on the ground...but then the rider is too! I don't see where the engine guards are causing the problem. And just because no one else has said it, they're called touring bikes for a reason.
*Dang. dhincc beat me to it while I was responding....

Old 01-04-2010, 05:47 PM
sfchief
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm a "function" over "form" kind of guy. I even added the rear ones since the 09 didn't come with them.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:54 PM
jimsreddyna
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

This might be a good time and place for me to ask a question that I have had for a while. I will keep my front crash bar on and I also will keep my rear crash bar on but for looks I would like to take the bag guards off to look more like the SG.

Does anyone know if the bags will touch the pavement in a simple drop or layover if the bike has the front and rear crash bars on but not the guards that wrap around the bags?

Old 01-04-2010, 06:16 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe it will lay right down on the engine guard and the guards in front of the bags....

Old 01-04-2010, 06:24 PM
jimsreddyna
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks Brett. Experience or best guess?

Old 01-04-2010, 06:37 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by jimsreddyna
This might be a good time and place for me to ask a question that I have had for a while. I will keep my front crash bar on and I also will keep my rear crash bar on but for looks I would like to take the bag guards off to look more like the SG.

Does anyone know if the bags will touch the pavement in a simple drop or layover if the bike has the front and rear crash bars on but not the guards that wrap around the bags?
It depends on several conditions, how hard the bike falls over adn how level the ground is. I have seen some bikes fall over with no damage, some break the clutch lever, one damage the edge of fairing, and one damage the hard bags. Depends on how much risk you want to take for the look.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It really doesn't make much difference either way. You either like the looks and have one or you don't and take it off. But if you want any type of lowers for protection from the elements the engine guards are mandatory.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I dropped my RK once at a standstill, one of those agonizing slow motion tip-overs...

The engine guards saved the bike from getting any damage, and the soft lower saved the engine guard from getting scratched. I was a happy camper.

I ride fairly aggressively in the twisties and have only scraped my floorboards a few times (I try to choose good cornering lines). Engine guards don't even come close to touching down.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:18 PM
North Star
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When I get my Roadglide, I think I'm putting the Lindby bar on- looks much better that the stock engine guards, plus has the built in foot rest, so no need for highway pegs. Looks like they make soft lowers to fit them as well.

Last edited by North Star; 01-04-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:21 PM
big block
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to my local MC/LE guys the floorboard mounts hit first then the floorboards.Engine guard way later.I'll go lean my 09 RG over and let ya'll know!
Big Block

Quick Reply: How many ride without the crash bar?