Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic converter in 08 ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:50 AM
cricker
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic converter in 08 ultra?

I just installed a fullsac tru dual kit on my 08 ultra. The exhaust note has improved, but there is now more exhaust pressure from the left side muffler. Did the moco install catalytic converters in the right side pipe in 08?

Old 01-12-2010, 05:49 AM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the V & H true duals on mine and have about equal pressure out of both pipes. The catalytic converter did not come out until last year I beleave.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:51 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cricker
I just installed a fullsac tru dual kit on my 08 ultra. The exhaust note has improved, but there is now more exhaust pressure from the left side muffler. Did the moco install catalytic converters in the right side pipe in 08?
that's what the Fulsac kit is supposed to do. Prior to the kit most of the exhaust came out of the right side and the left side was more for appearance.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:37 PM
cricker
Novice

With stock mufflers and stock headpipes most of the flow was through the right muffler. After the fulsac install (still with stock mufflers) there is more flow from the left side. There must be more restriction in the right muffler. If not a cat, then what would be the cause?

Old 01-13-2010, 01:02 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,106 Likes on 1,340 Posts

There is not a catalyst on your 08, however the L & R mufflers do flow slightly different.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 01-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The 2006-2008 California and International Models had the Cadylitic Converter in the Mufflers. The 49 State models didn't have the Converter.
In 2009 it was moved into the Header pipe. Then the Catylitic Converter was included in all models starting woth the 2010 Model year.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:31 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I beg to differ. Starting in 06, all models, touring, softails, and sportsters had a cat in the muffler from the front cylinder. I have removed dozens and not one was a CA bike. In 2010 the cat is in the head pipe.

Bwana

Old 01-14-2010, 03:49 PM
cricker
Novice

Bwana, What is the preferred method for removal? I am thinking about using a hole saw of the same diameter as the ID of the muffler inlet and an exxtension to reach deep enough.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:39 PM
cricker
Novice

Pulled the mufflers off today with the thought of attempting to remove the cat(if there was one). No honeycomb cat visible in the right side muffler. However..... there is a huge difference in the mufflers. Right side is a half circle from both ends and obviously forces exhaust to run circles before exiting. Left side is wide open to a single baffle near the exit end of the pipe. Right side is also 2 to 3 lbs heavier than left. I am not sure why there is such a huge difference in the pipes, but I will be shipping them to fullsac for a 1.75" recore to even up the flow and sweeten the sound.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:00 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It is heavier cause the cat is behind those half circles. As to removing the cat, it doesn't work very well with touring mufflers. W/ softails and sporties use an 18 in 5/8 drill and just drill holes through it from the front end. It was much easier to remove the baffles prior to 06. All you had to do was take a die grinder to the weld at the back of the muffler and when you have completeley cut the weld, the baffle falls right out.

Bwana

Quick Reply: Catalytic converter in 08 ultra?