Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road glide radio bracket outer fairing wear

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 02:30 PM
makstv5
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default road glide radio bracket outer fairing wear

I would think the best remedy would be to cut the top corners of the radio bracket off if they are much above the radio. The fairing is suppose to sit in those two hooks under the radio and it is also though bolted with the directionals and clamped to the engine crash bar. I can't see letting it still rest on the corners of the radio bracket even if covered with anything to protect them.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:37 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Hmm, I think the issue may be the alignment of the fairing after reinstallation by the angle of the lower brackets on the crash bar. If one has to start cutting pieces off, there is definitely something wrong. I have been watching this topic on another thread, and its the only thing that makes any sense to me why some have the problem and some do not.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:59 PM
makstv5
Banned

Originally Posted by bagman1
Hmm, I think the issue may be the alignment of the fairing after reinstallation by the angle of the lower brackets on the crash bar. If one has to start cutting pieces off, there is definitely something wrong. I have been watching this topic on another thread, and its the only thing that makes any sense to me why some have the problem and some do not.
I'm not sure if there is any room to realy move the fairing much in the directional mount area. It does lock the fairing nicely down low though. I haven't checked mine yet but it looks to me by pictures that i have seen posted on here that the top corners are just too dam close to the fairing. If that can be adjusted i will do that but i think that cutting that top corner off the radio mount would solve this if in fact they are above the radio enough. I don't think that the outer fairing was ever intended to rest on those corners.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:33 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Perhaps. another idea that comes to mind is maybe the radio bracket wasnt set up properly when built, and just a C hair off and it rubs on some bikes. I wont be taking mine down for a month or more, but I will look into this real close.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:13 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by makstv5
I would think the best remedy would be to cut the top corners of the radio bracket off if they are much above the radio. The fairing is suppose to sit in those two hooks under the radio and it is also though bolted with the directionals and clamped to the engine crash bar. I can't see letting it still rest on the corners of the radio bracket even if covered with anything to protect them.
I've checked, re-checked then checked again. The wear on the fairing is not coming from the corner of the radio carrier bracket. It is coming from the middle of the bracket, exactly 1 1/4 inch from the top edge of the inner fairing. I thought it was the corners causing the damage also. It is not. It is the middle of the carrier. Best I can tell, there is a lot of down force on that part of the fairing. Espescially at high speeds. The fairing is plastered down against the radio carrier and all of that vibration is causing the gouges into the inside of the outer fairing. Also the hooks that others are referring to are there only to temporarily hold the fairing in place. Once you tighten the six screws that connect the inner fairing to the outer fairing, the fouter fairing is lifted off of these hooks ever so slightly about 3/8 of an inch. I've taken the fairing off and on about 50 times now trying to figure all of this out. I filled in my gouges with JB weld, slit open some vacum line and glued it over the radio carrier bracket so that the outer fairing rests on the rubber vacum line instead of the metal carrier bracket.
The fairing really doesn't rest on the carrier, only when you press down on it or the down force pressure from the air at higher speeds will it come in contact.
Gary D.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:19 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been watching this topic on another thread, and its the only thing that makes any sense to me why some have the problem and some do not.
I think most, if not all have this problem. I didn't think I had it either with only 3000 miles. I didn't want to take my fairing off either. I'm glad I did. I'd be willing to be that those who say they don't have a problem, aren't taking their fairing off. You can't just peek under the rubber windshield gasket and if you can't see anything, say you have no damage. You have to take the fairing off and look at the under side.
Gary D.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:39 PM
Sancho
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps. another idea that comes to mind is maybe the radio bracket wasnt set up properly when built, and just a C hair off and it rubs on some bikes. I wont be taking mine down for a month or more, but I will look into this real close.
What's a c hair?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:05 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Sancho
What's a c hair?
Cant say that here!

Old 01-19-2010, 07:15 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

When the bracket starts wearing into the outer fairing,the top of the outer fairing at the top of the inner will start to drop down.
When I modified the bracket on mine,the aligment at the top was better.
Like someone else said,the bracket supports the top of the outer fairing.

Also Gary is correct about the wear pattern on the bracket.Mine is the same.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:51 PM
makstv5
Banned
Default pic bracket repairture of radio

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
Cant say that here!
didn't you post a repair you did? I cant find it

Quick Reply: road glide radio bracket outer fairing wear