Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

member with bottoming out issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 02:10 PM
gchalifo
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default member with bottoming out issue

afternoon all,
Just bought 2013 flhx last june, 1 yr later, the wife and I headed out fully loaded up for the weekend to Maine.
I noticed right away that the glide suspension was bottoming out on bumps I figured it would "glide" right over.

Double checked air pressure in tires, and the air shock setting to 50psi.
My guess is maxing the air shock is not the resolution.
Further guessing my next option is heavier shock/spring combo.

WTF....brand new touring bike needs beefier suspension???

I'm searching the forum now, and I see there's no end to options. Maybe someone can simplify it for me. Is there an econimical solution/brand/model replacement shock for the flhx, that will help prevent the two/up+ luggage bottoming out bluse?

thanks/Gary

Old 06-09-2014, 02:15 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,922 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Welcome
You've answered your own question. More air for more weight. Post a total weight and I'm sure someone can tell you what THEY use. Then adjust it accordingly.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:20 PM
gchalifo
Intermediate

total weight....wifey 130, me 190, thats 320 + luggage...maybe another 30lbs or so....give or take....totalish is maybe 350....

here's what the dealer responded with...
the flhx has low shocks with limited travel. the air should be NO less that 35 lbs or as high as 45lbs with 2 people and loaded down depending on the load. If height is not a factor we could swap out the low shocks for dresser shocks which are taller with more travel or SE shocks which are much better. hope this helps marlene let me know what you think.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

You bought the Touring model that has the least amount of rear suspension travel. Moreover, it's a Harley. The parts they put on a new Harley are sometimes just good enough to last until you buy what should have been on it from the start. Welcome to the "Lifestyle".

You're gonna get all kind of responses that range from "It's good enough for me" to "I wouldn't ride rear supension that wasn't 3 way adjustable and cost 1K". There's a middle ground, do your research and lay down the money. With the wife on the back its a safety issue. I'd take a hard look at Progressive Suspension or the HD Premium shocks in 13". Yours is 12" currently.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:29 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Your bike has 12" shocks, with only 2" of travel. You can upgrade to a better shock. I went with Works Steel Trackers DRS ARS. There are several shock mfg out there. I've used these on all my bikes.
http://www.worksperformance.com/html/street.html
Call up & talk to there Tech. Good Luck.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:29 PM
gchalifo
Intermediate

Is it safe to assume that going with the HD premium 13" is gonna lift the bike 1" while sitting unloaded? which then means my feet are 1" further from the ground....I know I know....one things leads to another...the domino affect.

So, I'm thinking I need to NOT raise the bike or keep it close to the current profile, but add spring/shock capacity to prevent that bottoming out....so there in lies the target/goal.

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
You bought the Touring model that has the least amount of rear suspension travel. Moreover, it's a Harley. The parts they put on a new Harley are sometimes just good enough to last until you buy what should have been on it from the start. Welcome to the "Lifestyle".

You're gonna get all kind of responses that range from "It's good enough for me" to "I wouldn't ride rear supension that wasn't 3 way adjustable and cost 1K". There's a middle ground, do your research and lay down the money. With the wife on the back its a safety issue. I'd take a hard look at Progressive Suspension or the HD Premium shocks in 13". Yours is 12" currently.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:51 PM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 06-09-2014, 02:54 PM
mmats69
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Legend air ride

Old 06-09-2014, 03:03 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You have an FLHX. They have one inch less travel than the rest of the Glides. If the plan was always two up touring not the best pick. That being said you can install standard E-Glide shocks on your bike and the issue will be gone.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by gchalifo
Is it safe to assume that going with the HD premium 13" is gonna lift the bike 1" while sitting unloaded? which then means my feet are 1" further from the ground....I know I know....one things leads to another...the domino affect.

So, I'm thinking I need to NOT raise the bike or keep it close to the current profile, but add spring/shock capacity to prevent that bottoming out....so there in lies the target/goal.
It just ain't that simple brother. Limited travel shocks ride harsh or they bottom out. There isn't a lot of room for middle ground. Stiffer, short travel shocks feel the same as bottming out, only it'll feel that way over EVERY bump.

If its the idea of not being able to flat foot the taller shock keep in mind when preload is dialed up for riding two up, you have the additional sag of a passenger and whatever luggage you're carrying. At worse, the extra shock height will be a wash.

Comfort and short travel don't go together.

Quick Reply: member with bottoming out issue