Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8.5 Klock Werks Flare Windshield Review - FLHT

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 06:52 AM
SBW Cycles
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 8.5 Klock Werks Flare Windshield Review - FLHT

DISCLAIMER: I don't work for the following companies, I just found the right shield!

I have had my Electra Glide Standard for the past 3 years and I got it all customized to my liking. Having been riding Softails for the past 8 years, I had to get used to the windshield/fairing. I went from a stock clear Harley shield to other different brands, mainly Fastaire and Long Ride Shields. Here is a list of my journey thus far:

1. 4 inch black Fastaire shield
2. 6 inch dark smoke Fastaire shield
3. 9 inch dark smoke Fastaire shield (cracked when rock hit it)
4. 9 inch dark smoke Long Ride Shield

I finnally got my windshield selection right with the 9 inch dark smoke shield from Fastaire. I then purchased a Long Ride Shield which does everything they advertised, but I was always interested in the Klock Werks so I was excited when 8.5 came out. I ordered it Thursday morning from Eastern Performance, it was deliverd by Friday afternoon, (you have to love that) and the windshield was installed by 5:00 that evening.

I took it out for nice test ride last night, I only went 30 miles (thanks to this wonderful NJ weather) and I have to say that this windshield peforms great! Thus far I have no complaints with it. It looks good and in my opinion makes the bike handle a little bit better. I had hardly any air hitting my directly in the face and coming from a 6'4" guy that is saying something. The sound of my radio is even better. I was first skeptical about these shields, but overall impressed with the quality and performance.

Like most other riders, I never wanted to pay over $100 for any shield, but I was able to get this shield from Eastern Performance for under $150, plus they gave me a coupon for 10% off, not to mention free shipping. FYI, my LRS cost me $80 plus shipping.

If you like to shop at Eastern Performance a lot like me, enter coupon code "savings" at check out on http://www.easternperformance.com/. This code is good until February 28.

Thanks everyone for reading! Photos to come soon!

Old 01-23-2010, 07:08 AM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Do you have an pics of this on the bike? I've seen the shorter KW's on a SG but I was wondering what the 8.5" would look like? Been thinking of trying one.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:11 AM
navyman
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a great review. Thanks. I am now considering the KW 8.5.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:01 PM
lawdog98
2nd Gear

Where are the pictures? I too would like to see the 8.5 in dark smoke on a bike.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:03 PM
tn_chopper_man
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lawdog98
Where are the pictures? I too would like to see the 8.5 in dark smoke on a bike.
Ditto on the pics.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:16 PM
gjearne
Advanced
Default 8.5 klockworks

8.5 Klock Werks Flare Windshield Review - FLHT-img_0429.jpg

8.5 Klock Werks Flare Windshield Review - FLHT-img_0432.jpg i'm 6'-3'' have been using the 8.5 on my 010 st glide since nov. I really like it. no problem with wearing a baseball hat at highway speeds . I hate looking through a windshield and can see over the top of this one fine. the 8.5 sends the air over the top of your head really well. I know they also make an 11.5 sorry the pics arn't that good but they're all I had. click to enlarge them. Later guy's.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:01 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Longride has their version of this shield too.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:12 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Been running the 6.5" KW on my SG for about a year now and at 6'0" it's the best I have found so far.

The following users liked this post:
Sknoch (12-11-2016)
Old 03-14-2010, 09:15 PM
hdbagr
Cruiser
Cool

Just installed mine last night, Ohio weather sucks right now (rain and a muddy driveways) have'nt rode yet. 6' tall W/ 32" inseam and it hit me right below the nose. So far i'm happy with fit & finish!!Had a 6" and way to much buffeting, hopefully this takes care of it. I'll let ya know how it is riding as soon as the weather gets a little better. It's a quality screen!

Old 03-15-2010, 01:14 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

For those of you with the 8.5" Klock Werks how is the air flow at highway speeds in regards to the flow going past your ears?

Currently testing one of the LRS 8" shields and get a lot of wind hitting me in the ears at speed and I'm wondering how this is compared to the KW's.

Quick Reply: 8.5 Klock Werks Flare Windshield Review - FLHT