Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   I need tires and a little help deciding (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/470334-i-need-tires-and-a-little-help-deciding.html)

Flying Horse 01-26-2010 12:30 PM

I need tires and a little help deciding

We haven't had a "whats best" tire thread for a while and since I need new tires now is a good time to revisit. Before you say it; yes I have read lots of old threads and posts.

I wanted the E-3's but according to Dunlop they do not make an E-3 that is recommended for my bike, an 04 FLHRSI. Therefore I need to rethink everything. I am basically a conservative rider except from the start and most riding is done solo. Rain groves, oil slicks and crappy Jersey/PA roads are no place for a 2nd rate tire. When the wife rides with me I want to know that I've got the best tire under us. Michelin's Conti's, Metz's etc, etc.

Right now I am torn between the Conti Milestone and the Michelin Commander.

What say you?

vtxkc 01-26-2010 02:44 PM

I highly recommend Avon Cobra's. Excellent wet and dry traction. You will not believe how much better your bike handles

FastHoss 01-26-2010 02:51 PM

I had the Michelins,did not like them.Wore out too fast.So far I like the Metz.Just be sure to get the ones for touring.

FLYING 01-26-2010 02:52 PM

I usually run Continentals,they seem to be softer and grip Wisconsins seasonal roadways good however I do not get the endurance of some of the others,

strtarrow 01-26-2010 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by FastHoss (Post 6154244)
I had the Michelins,did not like them.Wore out too fast.So far I like the Metz.Just be sure to get the ones for touring.

That is interesting as for a truck tire especially, the Michelin LTX/MS tire is in my opinion the best all around tire you can get for a truck/SUV. I have gotten 80K + out of them. Can't understand why they do not make a better bike tire.

KingEvan 01-26-2010 03:20 PM

i got 12k out of my stock rear. so when it was time i just got the same. i dont ride super aggresive but i do open it up sometimes. just make sure your pressure is always correct and your good to go. now if your looking for different performance/ride/feel then i don't know but i think every 12k miles is pretty damn good.

cosshog 01-26-2010 03:25 PM

Metzler me880. good grip wet/dry/highway and my last set got 13k on the rear.

Flying Horse 01-26-2010 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by KingEvan (Post 6154367)
i got 12k out of my stock rear. so when it was time i just got the same. i dont ride super aggresive but i do open it up sometimes. just make sure your pressure is always correct and your good to go. now if your looking for different performance/ride/feel then i don't know but i think every 12k miles is pretty damn good.

I've got 13k on both front and rear and they are still OK but I want something that handles the rain grooves, steel bridges and rough roads better.

'05Train 01-26-2010 03:41 PM

I run Metz 880s on my Night Train. I only got about 8,000 miles out of my first rear, I'm hoping to go over 10k with the new one (but I don't see it happening). That said, the phenomenal grip on both wet & dry pavement, not to mention when it gets cold (like in the high teens and 20s) makes up for the short life.

mastery 01-26-2010 04:44 PM

If I couldn't do E3s on my bike, I would have gotten the Metzler 880s. Very highly regarded tire as well.