Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with which gear ratio on my 2007 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:40 PM
The Northern Bum
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with which gear ratio on my 2007 Ultra

I need some help on this one. I have an 2007 Ultra with SE255 cams, V&H true duals w/monster ovals, big sucker air cleaner, and the Thundemax ECM w/auto tune. The bike runs great but it’s a constant battle with the stock gearing and I would like to fix this. There are a few ways to accomplish this and the way I decided was to change the front belt pulley from a 32 tooth to a 30 or 31 tooth. I have already installed the IDS on the rear wheel which has a built in 66 tooth pulley and cannot be changed to a 68 or 70 tooth without losing the IDS and would most likely require a larger belt anyway. I do not want to lose the IDS and I do not believe the 68 tooth from the 09/10 with IDS would work on the 2007 IDS.

My first question is for those why have owned or ridden both the 2007/08 and a 2009/10 and can respond on the gearing deference. How does the 2009/10 compare to the 2007/08? The 2007/08 has a 32 front belt pulley with a 66 tooth rear while the 2009/10 has a 32 tooth front and a 68 tooth rear. This takes the bike from a 2.79 gear ratio (07/08) to a 2.875 (09/10). I can get the same gear ratio with my bike by going to a 31 tooth front pulley with the 66 tooth rear. For those of you that have ridden both is this enough of a change in gear ratios? Or, do you think it needs to be more, like a 2.95 ratio? I can get this with the 30 tooth pulley.

I have searched and read everything I can find about changing from a 32 tooth front belt pulley to a 30 or 31 tooth and still not sure which way to go. Here is what I know so far. Andrews sells a 30 tooth pulley for $130 - $140 and some say it will work with the factory belt and some say, no it won’t. I only want to hear from those of you who know for a fact the stock belt does work with the 30 tooth pulley or not. Please do not respond if you had this done at a shop and they told you the belt had to be changed.

My other choice is a 31 tooth pulley from Baker which cost $203. And they say it will work with the stock belt. Keep in mind that I don’t mind the cost of which way I go, I would just like to do it once. Heck, I already spent $200 just for the tools to do this and another $50 in gaskets and oil, so the $130 - $200 for the gear is nothing even if I have to add a belt with it. Now if someone knows where I can buy the Baker 31T pulley for less I would love to save some money.

So as a recap to my questions;
1) Is going from the 07/08 to the 09/10 gearing enough of a change? Or anyone who has changed a 07/08 to a 31 tooth pulley is this good enough?
2) For those who have changed from the 32 to the 30 tooth gear were you able to use the stock belt?
3) If you were able to use the stock belt with the 30 tooth? Did you have to grind the swing arm for extra adjustment?
4) If you have a 30T front with a 66T rear set up, do you feel you’re running too many RPMs now or are you happy with it?

Sorry for the lengthy questions on this but I bet there are a lot of others besides me waiting to hear your answers.

Dave

Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 PM
08 glide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the 08 and the 09 and yes the gearing was a good change! I also was checking how to change the 08 gearing, wasnt real impressed with any of the options verses the cost and work involved. the small change in the 09 makes a big difference for my riding style, 31 tooth baker without belt change or evo 49t clutch gear was my way I was leaning toward, 30 tooth imo would be to close to the 5 speeds Ive owned and always wanting another gear on the interstate. seems to me we always want something morenow I want the 255 cam you have magine that!!!

Old 02-08-2010, 08:44 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

I believe the 49T clutch gear from Evo Industries is the perfect choice.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:48 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Dave,

I'm just curious to what matters most. That being, quicker off the line or lower RPM's on the Interstate? I would expect a trade off when straying from your '07 OEM gearing.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:02 PM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by nvsteve
I believe the 49T clutch gear from Evo Industries is the perfect choice.
Absolutely. If I had the bucks right now that's what I would do. The perfect ratio, (very similar to the ratio you would get with the 30T Trans sprocket). I already have a SE Compensator sitting on the shelf and am saving my pennies for the 49T clutch gear. If you change your primary gearing your speedo stays "accurate".
  • 30T trans sprocket will USUALLY work w/ stock belt but you might have to grind..
  • EVO sells a 31T sprocket cheaper than Baker, if I remember right.
  • 49T clutch gear is less work than 30T trans sprocket.
  • 49T clutch gear and chain are spendy($482)

Old 02-08-2010, 11:09 PM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
Dave,

I'm just curious to what matters most. That being, quicker off the line or lower RPM's on the Interstate? I would expect a trade off when straying from your '07 OEM gearing.
The gearing will totally transform your bike, not just "off the line". I can run 125 mph in forth gear with my stock '07 gearing...too tall for me....

Old 02-09-2010, 07:25 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by thereal142
Absolutely. If I had the bucks right now that's what I would do. The perfect ratio, (very similar to the ratio you would get with the 30T Trans sprocket). I already have a SE Compensator sitting on the shelf and am saving my pennies for the 49T clutch gear. If you change your primary gearing your speedo stays "accurate".
  • 30T trans sprocket will USUALLY work w/ stock belt but you might have to grind..
  • EVO sells a 31T sprocket cheaper than Baker, if I remember right.
  • 49T clutch gear is less work than 30T trans sprocket.
  • 49T clutch gear and chain are spendy($482)
Agree. There are many times with stock gearing that 5th seems just a bit too low but 6th is too high.
I also found that fuel mileage is often better staying in 5th. Doesn't sound right but it is.
has to do with throttle position.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:33 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I changed the rear sprocket from the IDS 66 tooth to the older 70 tooth and Im very happy with how the trike pulls from first to 5th. Im still using the stock belt also.

I use 6th gear for anything 65 mph and over unless Im riding the interstate in the mountains

Old 02-09-2010, 09:10 AM
The Northern Bum
Intermediate

Thanks for the feedback.

I already ordered the tools and gaskets (and a case of beer) to do the front belt pulley so the main decision is between the 30 tooth (2.98 gear ratio) and the 31 tooth (2.88 gear ratio, same as 2009/10). I can also correct the Speedo accuracy with my Thundermax ECM. The work and time to do this is not an issue, I live north of Detroit and it will be over 2 months before the snow and road salt is gone. I want to keep as many parts stock as possible. My last bike was a 1985 Goldwing limited that I owned for 22 years before buying the 07 Ultra. If I break down I want to be able to get parts, fast. If any of these special parts (belts, chains or gears) need to be replaced in years to come they may not be available. This is why I sold the Goldwing, I couldn’t get new or used parts for it anymore.

I did not want to go with the 30T primary because this would be too much gearing (3.16 gear ratio) for me (to high of RPMs on the Hi-way). I would also lose the 6 gear light (not a big deal) and there is the possibility of the cruise control not working. I have also ordered the SE compensator and would rather keep this thing running as smooth as possible.

The 49T clutch gear (2.97 gear ratio) was also out because of the 6 gear light and possible CC issues along with the higher cost over the belt pulley change out (even after purchasing tools).

Any additional feedback on the 30 VS 31 tooth belt pulley change on the 07/08 or comparisons between the 07/08 and 09/10 gearing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dave

Old 02-09-2010, 09:48 AM
The Northern Bum
Intermediate

Thereal142

Thanks, I finally found the Evolution WEB site and you were right, they do have the 30 and 31 tooth belt pulleys and they’re a whole lot less than Baker. The aluminum pulleys are $160, the steel are $148, VS Bakers $203 for either. Looks like I’ll be ordering one ASAP once I decide which one. Thanks again.

Dave

Quick Reply: Help with which gear ratio on my 2007 Ultra