Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14" Bagger Apes (Wild1s) - cable lengths - DIFFERENT question!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 12:09 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running the same bars with +8 clutch cable and it barely worked out. I doubt a 6" would work on the clutch. +1 on HDbikeparts.com as well!!!!!

Also the cables need to be for a FI bike if yours is a FI bike. I was sold the wrong cables by another vendor for my fatbob and the freebore(length between the outer coating and end of the cable is different between the FI and carb'd bikes. I am actually waiting on a set to come in for my fatbob hopefully next week.

Last edited by leeinmemphis; 02-09-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:18 PM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SE7EN

Thereal142 - just curious; was there a reason you didn't opt to go for the Hill Country "all included" setup? I believe it is Wild1 bars & all cables for 469.99
http://www.hillcountrycustomcycles.c...7-07-P309.aspx
That kit is not Wild 1, the bars are made by HCC. No mention is made as to brand name of cables or brake lines.Wild 1 bars are double-thick bars; the entire 1.25" sections are slipped over the 1" bars and welded in place. To me, names like Barnett, Goodridge, and Wild 1 are worth a few extra bucks....but that's just me.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:51 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thereal142
That kit is not Wild 1, the bars are made by HCC. No mention is made as to brand name of cables or brake lines.Wild 1 bars are double-thick bars; the entire 1.25" sections are slipped over the 1" bars and welded in place. To me, names like Barnett, Goodridge, and Wild 1 are worth a few extra bucks....but that's just me.
Actually, no welding is performed on the wild1 chubbys. They slip the 1.25" tubing over the 1" tubing and then bend them...Makes them super strong and flawless when chromed. Another great thing about the wild1 bars is the right side has no flat spot for the master cylinder-you can rotate the cylinder where you need it and the lack of a flat spot allows that.

You are correct that the kit does not contain genuine wild1 bars. The kit price is no bargain. You gat shop and get genuine wild1 bars and top quality magnum cables hoses for just under 500 bucks....I spent 1200 because I also installed chrome controls and genuine extended HD switches/wires along with HD chrome switch housings.

If you go with magnum shielding's brake hose, get their designer series upper and lower offering. They are show quality and the front brake feels so solid you think it is welded pipe steada hose.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:18 AM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by oinker02
Actually, no welding is performed on the wild1 chubbys. They slip the 1.25" tubing over the 1" tubing and then bend them...Makes them super strong and flawless when chromed. Another great thing about the wild1 bars is the right side has no flat spot for the master cylinder-you can rotate the cylinder where you need it and the lack of a flat spot allows that.

You are correct that the kit does not contain genuine wild1 bars. The kit price is no bargain. You gat shop and get genuine wild1 bars and top quality magnum cables hoses for just under 500 bucks....I spent 1200 because I also installed chrome controls and genuine extended HD switches/wires along with HD chrome switch housings.

If you go with magnum shielding's brake hose, get their designer series upper and lower offering. They are show quality and the front brake feels so solid you think it is welded pipe steada hose.
They are welded at the transitions after they are slipped over and bent.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:29 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyD
Talk to Shawn ( Dr.V-Twin ) He was very helpful on this very subject, for me. And he sells Magnum cables which look very nice, and come in several different colors/types. I am replacing my ABS and clutch line, and the prices seem very good. Magnum sells the lines in two pieces so a guy can change just the upper (short) line when he changes bars, instead of the whole line.
Thanks for the kind words Jonny. The Dr. helps as best he can. I still think +6" regardless of the width of the bars is enough for the brake and clutch. Yes, we use Magnum shielding as they make the cutom cables faster than anyone else. Barnet makes nice cables too, but it always takes them longer.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:10 PM
econoracing
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the throttle and return cables?

Old 01-18-2014, 10:14 AM
Flatjay356
Stage III

I am putting 14 in carlinis on my 99 roadking, I think I have my cable lengths figured out but have a quick , prob dumb , question, as far as the cable lengths go, especially throttle, do they have to be fairly exsct so there isn't any free play? If the cable was to long would there be to much movement in the cable? Thank u

Old 07-17-2014, 02:52 PM
pecostx
Novice

I'm looking to put Santee's 14" bagger bars on my 98 ultra efi, planing to use Barnett cables, 8" for the clutch and 6" for the rest, sound about right? Have the bars already but can only afford to get cables and such one at a time due to funding issues. Found reasonable prices through Dennis Kirk online. Got my wire extensions off ebay a company called 4Rcustoms. Family company custom makes each order, each kit all the "right" wires for your needs, $42 for my set w/cruise/radio/cb.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:26 PM
BQsHX
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I called hdbikeparts.com and spoke to the owner. He sent me a +8 Barnett clutch cable, but I'm not sure about the brake line. It originally came as a kit, but I had to order another clutch cable cause of my gorilla strength over tightened the jam nut and broke it while adjusting it. I'm running Wild1 14's.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:22 AM
AntonV85
Stage III

Can anyone help me to decide. I ordered Vindikta 14inch bars for StreetGlide 2012, and now I need to understand about the clutch cable & brake like.

I'd like to order MagnumShielding cables but what about the length. What I found on different forums that I need +8inch for clutch cable & +6inch for the upper brake line. But I'm not sure. Can anyone help me with this question?

Quick Reply: 14" Bagger Apes (Wild1s) - cable lengths - DIFFERENT question!!