Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

deceleration problems, looking for insight

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 03:03 PM
06HarleyStreetBobLoveWillieGSkulls's Avatar
06HarleyStreetBobLoveWillieGSkulls
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default deceleration problems, looking for insight

Hi, I have a 2008 Road King FLHP (Police). I've been having issues with my bike when I let off the throttle. To give a little history in a nutshell, I was using straight pipes( screaming eagles with the baffles and fiberglass wrapped mesh screen taken out and to still had the air fuel ratio set to the factory setting). When I let off the throttle (in all gears), I could feel a strong vibration in my floorboards and could hear a unusual sound coming out of the tail pipes. I never experienced this before when I had the baffles in. I finally got ahold of some stock pipes and put them on and made a huge difference. Still yet I feel a little vibration. Does anybody have anybody have experience with this or knowledge of it. Also when I release my clutch Its not always so smooth especially in 3rd gear(its not real rough but I do notice it). When I let off the throttle i can hear and feel a little lug that sounds like it come from the middle area of the bike.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:57 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The worst vibration issue I had was when my compensator nut was loosening itself up.

I'm not sure of all the years, but all the late models have been fit with an updated compensator, even many retro fit with the update under warranty because of failure. Most when failing have a distinct rattling sound in the primary.

You may have more than one issue going on.

Not having the correct back pressure, when attempting to get better flowing pipes can cause carbon issue on the piston and valve seat burnout. Both issues can cause rough running issue, which may create a deceleration vibration.

A grabbing clutch feel noticeable in only 3rd gear is a hard one for me to say what the cause could even be. You would notice the same grabby feel in all gears if the issue was the clutch or the cable. Damaged throw out bearings can give you very odd release action, as well as a damaged cabling hanging up in the casing. It may even be a worn or damaged release mechanism call the ramp that the cable ties directly to. When you squeeze the lever it pulls the cable, which turns the ramp. The ramping up extends the rod that contact the clutch hub using a throw out bearing to disengage the clutch.

These are just suggestions and hopefully more will come along with ideas of how to fix you ride.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:27 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 06HarleyStreetBobLoveWillieGSkulls
Hi, I have a 2008 Road King FLHP (Police). I've been having issues with my bike when I let off the throttle. To give a little history in a nutshell, I was using straight pipes( screaming eagles with the baffles and fiberglass wrapped mesh screen taken out and to still had the air fuel ratio set to the factory setting). When I let off the throttle (in all gears), I could feel a strong vibration in my floorboards and could hear a unusual sound coming out of the tail pipes. I never experienced this before when I had the baffles in. I finally got ahold of some stock pipes and put them on and made a huge difference. Still yet I feel a little vibration. Does anybody have anybody have experience with this or knowledge of it. Also when I release my clutch Its not always so smooth especially in 3rd gear(its not real rough but I do notice it). When I let off the throttle i can hear and feel a little lug that sounds like it come from the middle area of the bike.
I would say it is too lean. If you have a tuner richen the low end 5% in the idle area. I am running the same mufflers on my 2010 FLHTK and no baffles. I do still have the cats in and a PV tuner with a very good map. No vibrations and run great. I didn't have to change the tuner at all when I switched from the stock pipes. Had a vibration once and it was from loose exhaust hanger bolts.