Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use the NightRider XiED's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 05:47 AM
dohadex
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Anyone use the NightRider XiED's?

I was considering a less expensive alternative to getting a PCV and Stg 1 A/C ($500+), and just going with a set of XiEDs for $180. Has anyone used this device and is it effective at richening the AFR so that the bike runs better/cooler/smoother, etc?

I am considering getting this (the variable model) instead of a PCV and saving about $250.

They claim it will richen the AFR to approx. 13.8...or you can get the ViED (variable) and get from 14.6 to 13.6 AFR if desired. It will still adjust for higher loads and RPMs and richen the AFR as demand dictates. (according to their statements)

Let me know what your experiences are with them if you have tried them.

Thanks.

Last edited by dohadex; 02-16-2010 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Add more clarity
Old 02-16-2010, 06:53 AM
littlebear
Tourer

I have them and am happy. Do a search and you will find alot of threads on the subject.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:20 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

These devices only fool the ECM into using a richer AFR when in closed-loop mode, so they won't affect anything above about 50% throttle-position (TP). Thus, if you change mufflers and AC you'll need to also get the HD Stage 1 download (~$150) to get AFR's correct above 50% TP. By the time you do that you could've bought a real tuner like a PCV.

IED's will cool the bike down a bit while in closed-loop mode, which is mainly when idling and cruising, and may increase throttle-response a bit in that area too. Other than that they don't do anything, and can't provide AFR's richer than 14.2:1 in any case due to the limitations of the narrow-band O2 sensors. This would be rich enough for me since I like to run it lean in the cruise range, but some will want it richer for added cooling. They will not affect WOT performance at all.

I can't see anyone benefiting from these except someone who wants to keep the bike stock (i.e. no full-Stage 1 upgrade) and only wants to make it run a bit cooler. BTW, a PCV and AC is around $425 at Fuel Moto, and you will get a correct map installed on the tuner prior to shipment. IED's with an AC and the Stage 1 download is around $450, which will not optimize AFR's and ignition timing for best cooling and performance.

Last edited by iclick; 02-16-2010 at 09:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
FrenchieM (06-06-2018)
Old 02-16-2010, 10:46 AM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put on the 02 IEDs, they are not quite as rich as the XIEDs but I just put mild slip on mufflers and stock breather. The mileage only went down a couple MPG. but it cooled it down considerably. also made it ride better in sixth gear in the 65-70 MPH range. with a little better pick-up. Had them on my 08 FLHT for 2 years and 45,000 miles now. Best money (besides cruise control) I have spent.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Got a set of XIED's that I'd get rid of cheap if you're interested. PM me.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Jukebox
Road Master

I too have a set that I bought from someone on the forums. It did ritchen up the bike. I used them for about a year till I could afford the full stage one. Now I have them for sale too. I gave $35 for them. If you are still looking just PM me,they are setting in my shed still in the package with instructions.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:14 PM
BigBen
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the IED's and they operate as advertised. It did cool the bike, and improved the driveability. They also made 6th gear usefull. Before, I couldn't get below 70mph, now I can easily go down to 60 mph.

I have the AC, but not the pipes. What they say about wide open throttle is true. You may be running too lean in this condition. If you spend a considerable amount of time there, you may want something better.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:14 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'08 FLHX w/ SE A/C. Drilled out stock pipes. Have dealer's download done. From what I gathered, bike was still running "factory lean". Added X14IED's, helps in cooling down the bike. Really happy with it, doesn't affect MPG much, if at all.

Not looking for performance gain, just want a slightly cooler running bike and deeper exhaust tone. Got them both with this setup.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:36 PM
heywood727
Road Master

I had them on both my bikes before the TTS. They do what they say they will do. Richen up the bike a bit and cool it down. $180 seems really high.

I had and still have the Vied's. I liked the adjustability. I ran them staggered. A little leaner on the front cylinder (14.3:1) and richer on the rear (14.0:1). Ran better than the 14.7:1 that the factory setting is anyhow.

Good little mod to cool it down. Worked where you needed it. In the closed loop portion of the map. Once you get above 50% throttle or above 4000 rpm, the ECM doesn't use the 02 sensors anyhow and gets fat (rich) enough anyhow.

Don't get me wrong, they are no tuner, but for the price and conviniance, they did what I wanted them to do. I had concerns with warranty issues being a first year bike with FBW, ABS and all. Just wanted something that cooled it down, of and on in 5 min., and was untracable if I had issues. There is no Moss act in Canada so I can't depend on that route before anyone gets started.

There's a 4000 post thread on the IED's in the tech section. Take a look if you want.

Heywood

Old 02-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Phat09flhx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the 100 dollar set for my 09 FLHX and love them so far.Takin off from a dead stop doesn't feel like the clutch is slippin anymore.Gas milage for me has gotten better since I installed them,took a whole 15 min to install.I drilled out the air box w/K&N and have run a couple different pipes from D&D Big Boar to the Pythons and can't complain.Definately a great buy for a tight budget,now they do say if you install cams w/ no head work they Xied's will still work fine.

Quick Reply: Anyone use the NightRider XiED's?