Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   1997 Police Fuel Injected Evo Problem (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/479837-1997-police-fuel-injected-evo-problem.html)

Joey-D 02-20-2010 05:36 PM

1997 Police Fuel Injected Evo Problem

I have a 1997 Harley Police with a fuel injected evo. Had a ton of problems when I purchased it. Blah blah blah. The bike runs perfect when it first fires up. After it warms up, it falls on its face and cuts out and about dies or does die when riding it. This happened on my ride home with it. Stopped at a dealer ship, drop $500 on intake gasket replacement, hot and cold idle adjustment, plugs, air filter and the cam and crank sensors plugs checked. They could figure it out, so I uhauled it home. Tore the bike down. Noticed a loose connection on the voltage regulator. Hardwired the plug. Did a bunch of odds and ends to the bike, put it back together and it ran great. Put 123 miles on it and no problems at all. Tear it down again to get it painted. Finish putting the tins back on today and take it for a spin, and it starts doing it again. Replaced the plug for the fuel pump, as I thought maybe it got paint on it. No Fix. Replaced the cam position sensor. No fix. This is whats screwy, it will cut out, die, fall on its face, sputter, constantly, but if you turn it off and then back on, it will be just fine for a little while. My buddy want to buy it from me, but I have to fix this first. Any ideas? ECM? Ignition Module? Rider?

Jinks 02-20-2010 05:58 PM

Loose ground wire?

Joey-D 02-20-2010 06:10 PM

Guess I will chase grounds tomorrow.

tenn.vol. 02-20-2010 08:09 PM

On my 97 FLHRI it was the head temp senser. And I did NOT have to remove
or raise the gas tank. Do a search in the evo section.....Mine did set a code
and after I bought the code reader it was just remove and replace. Tenn.

Joey-D 02-20-2010 08:33 PM

But thats the thing, its never given me a code, thats why I'm so confused about this.

will2002 02-20-2010 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by tenn.vol. (Post 6284754)
On my 97 FLHRI it was the head temp senser. And I did NOT have to remove
or raise the gas tank. Do a search in the evo section.....Mine did set a code
and after I bought the code reader it was just remove and replace. Tenn.

Had the same deal with a '97 Ultra.:icon_cry:.... But, it was a easy cheep fix.:D

Joey-D 02-21-2010 02:00 AM

Did it throw a code? What problems did you have that ,made you believe it was this?

leohd 02-21-2010 03:39 AM

sux, but now you know why they did away with carburetors,,,dealers make a killing with injection problems

blueride 02-21-2010 06:39 AM

You didn't say how many miles are on your bike, but I'll venture a guess anyway. My 97 RK with 75,000 acted the same way. On my bike it was the crank and cam sensor that had corroded out.

Look for corrosion in the sensor.

truxpin 02-21-2010 07:25 AM

Just a thought...
when you first start up, how long before it starts having "fits" ? Sounds like maybe a fuel supply problem to me. Check the fuel filter,fuel pump, injectors yet?
If it will idle & warm up ok, but wont go on down the road, it's possible it's just not getting the gas it needs to keep motor going at speed. Good Luck.