Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust popping: 05 RK

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 01:23 PM
Inforit
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Exhaust popping: 05 RK

Had same prob with my hookers and dynojet using their exact map, talked to the tech at dynojet and learned that poping on decell is caused by a lean condition as you let of the throtle because most maps shut off fuel delivery as the bike gets to about 2500 rpm and lower with the throtle closed this leans out as the free flow muffs suck out the exhaust, he showed me how to fix it on a PCIII you just open the program and add 20% to all the first row of values that have 0% in them, poping went away, but you dont have that option with the hd download
I have the opposite affect. I had no popping on decel but I was playing around with the settings one day and I only decided to increase my 0 throttle position to 5 instead of 0 to make the bike maybe run cooler when idling in traffic. When I did that I started to get popping on decel, so I have to change that back to 0 again to get rid of the slight popping that I get.

Talk to one of our local mechanics in the area and he took a 1 day seminar that dyno jet had in the area and they recommend to take off 20 in each cell on 0 throttle to stop the decel popping.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:32 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My map had 0% in those fields, to reduce poping you add in fuel to counter the lean condition and this is only at the 2000 rpm range and above, the tech said not to touch the values below that rpm or it could effect idle.

Old 07-28-2006, 02:28 PM
ricoman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem with my 05 RKC. Got the same "explanation" from my dealer.
Dragon and John are correct about a DFO. I installed a TFI (same as DFO) and the popping is gone. Fairly easy install. There is good tech support on the phone from Techlusion (mfg. of TFI).
there is a very good post in the tech section here and in the DIY section you'll find install tips and info (even a video).

Old 07-29-2006, 12:42 AM
Nitescan
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: docsouce

I have an 05 Road King Classic. Had the dealer install the stage 1 upgrade with S/E slip on's.
I'm happy with the set up but I find the thing really pops when it's decelerating. Sometimes it even pops when I let off to shift. The dealer says it is because of the fuel injection. I had them check it out last fall when I had the 10k mi check. Same answer,same popping. The bike runs perfectly except for that. Good power, gas mileage,starts, all good. Just wondering if this is common. Thanks

Dave

Dave, Research the PC III, you will like the results you get from it. Mine did the exact same thing, it's annoying as hell just like yours, mine would even pop between shifts, I guarantee it will only get worse. I couldn't make up my mind between a PC or SERT, decided on PC because it can go on another bike. I installed it, rode......adjusted, rode........adjusted, on the second adjust everything leveled out. I even had that lean "chirp" under a load cruising 65, everything is gone now. Full throttle will set you back. I pull a trailer with the custom also, no problems at all. Good luck for a common problem that most dealers "will not help/advise you with".