Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Say no to Headlight Trim Ring Crack

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 02:30 PM
HalfFast
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Say no to Headlight Trim Ring Crack

This is for anyone who is installing or has installed an HD Headlight Trim Ring. As I have read through the posts addressing this problem, I see that the majority of people installing an HD Headlight Trim Ring found the entire installation to be a PITA...myself included.

I started this project yesterday. I read and followed the instructions exactly as they were written and ran into several pit falls. After asking for help here on the forum, I got several good suggestions but still ran into problems with this poorly designed POS trim ring. All in all, it was a cluster f*#k from beginning to end.

I put it on and took it off four or five times...all the while, thinking I was missing something in the instructions. While trying to close the gap at the bottom, the barrel nut pulled through cheap chromed sheet metal. Next, the head stripped out of the screw. Why in the Sam Hill didn't HD design this thing to attach like the stock ring? Too easy I guess.

This morning, I decided this was not going to beat me so I went out and got another screw and started again. Again, I followed the instructions and this time with a little help from my trusty Irwin Bar Clamp, I won. NO CRACK!!!!

For those of you who are going to install one of these POS trim rings, I have found the easy way to do it.
1- Follow instructions per HD instruction sheet.
2- Get a padded bar clamp and place the feet on each side of your headlight. (See pic below)
3- Tighten it slightly to get your screw started into the nut.
4- Tighten the clamp a little and tighten the screw to hold it.
5- Continue 4 until the gap is completely closed on the bottom.

Attached Thumbnails Say no to Headlight Trim Ring Crack-p1040146.jpg   Say no to Headlight Trim Ring Crack-p1040147.jpg   Say no to Headlight Trim Ring Crack-p1040150.jpg   Say no to Headlight Trim Ring Crack-p1040143.jpg  
Old 02-27-2010, 02:42 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. I have one on the workbench waiting to be installed.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Badfinger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YOU DA MAN! Great job I ended up taking a pair of Bulldog snips and splitting the old rim in several places to shrink it down. I like your way much better.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:58 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

crack kills!

Old 02-27-2010, 03:18 PM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Hope ya covered that front fender when ya worked on it! Great idea on the ring!

Old 02-27-2010, 03:22 PM
MrHd1
Tourer

I put one on my 08 FLHTCU. The gap around the headlight was so big I figured any number of pesty insects would either commit suicide there or otherwise take up permanent residence. I took it back and basically described it as a POS to the parts guy. He was at a loss to disagree.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:26 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Did this also remove the gap between the headlight and the trim ring?

Beary

Old 02-27-2010, 03:34 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Ive NEVER read the HD instructs so I dont know what they say to do, but you loosen (not remove) the screw for the stock ring, slip the new ring on and work it BEHIND the stock ring. Now tighten the screw for the new ring till you can just get a driver in the gap and tighten the stock screw, then finish tightening the new screw till there is no gap.

This has worked a couple hundred times so far.

The following users liked this post:
fdesa (01-16-2020)
Old 02-27-2010, 03:38 PM
HalfFast
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by beary
Did this also remove the gap between the headlight and the trim ring?

Beary

Partially. It did close up the gap between the headlight and trim ring to the point that I can live with it.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:43 PM
HalfFast
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Ive NEVER read the HD instructs so I dont know what they say to do, but you loosen (not remove) the screw for the stock ring, slip the new ring on and work it BEHIND the stock ring. Now tighten the screw for the new ring till you can just get a driver in the gap and tighten the stock screw, then finish tightening the new screw till there is no gap.

This has worked a couple hundred times so far.
That is pretty much what the instructions say to do but that didn't cut it on mine and from what I have read on the numerous posts concerning this issue, it didn't work for a lot of others either.

Quick Reply: Say no to Headlight Trim Ring Crack