Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damaged clutch hub splines?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:37 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Originally Posted by rbabos
I wonder how may more have this condition and don't know about it?
Ron
I was just discussing this with mainshaft. I bet there are a lot with this issue. I also bet MOCO has a hint about it, but won't do anything until enough come back.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:03 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
I was just discussing this with mainshaft. I bet there are a lot with this issue. I also bet MOCO has a hint about it, but won't do anything until enough come back.
Even then, it will be called an enhancement, like the se comp. Probably the replacement will have the id counterbored back another 1/2" to take this area out the the twisting zone so the splines won't crack. Then the shaft will twist off
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 03-02-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,652 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by rbabos
Even then, it will be called an enhancement, like the se comp. Probably the replacement will have the id counterbored back another 1/2" to take this area out the the twisting zone so the splines won't crack. Then the shaft will twist off
Ron

I actually thought about that. I hate the thought of putting a new hub in that's gonna look the same the next time I take it out. I contemplated just clearing the loose stuff off and reinstalling the hub as is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

but some how I just can't bring myself to reinstall something I KNOW is damaged.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:34 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow! The coincidence of 2 forum members sharing the same issue at the same time is concerning as to how many of us may be affected and not even know it.

WTF?!?

The compensator theory could prove fruitful. Will follow this thread for probable answers.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:42 PM
rbabos
Banned

Originally Posted by Duracell
I actually thought about that. I hate the thought of putting a new hub in that's gonna look the same the next time I take it out. I contemplated just clearing the loose stuff off and reinstalling the hub as is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

but some how I just can't bring myself to reinstall something I KNOW is damaged.
Well, technically you've been tearing around with those parts of the spline not working anyway, but I know what you mean. It's just wrong.
Ron

Old 03-02-2010, 04:59 PM
rbabos
Banned

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
Wow! The coincidence of 2 forum members sharing the same issue at the same time is concerning as to how many of us may be affected and not even know it.

WTF?!?

The compensator theory could prove fruitful. Will follow this thread for probable answers.
I've had the se comp on for quite some time now. Don't really think the comp is the solution but might take some shock out. Main culprit that I can see is the shaft is torsioning under shock loads or just plain torque. Interesting to see how wide spread this is, or just a few unfortunate people experience this. Thought I read somewhere the primary shaft was redesigned for the 09+ models. Anybody know about that and what changed?
Ron

Old 03-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,652 Likes on 579 Posts

Wife just got back from Winchester HD with a new hub. Should have the primary buttoned up tonight.

Then it's back to waiting for the big brown truck to bring me a package from Head Quarters!

Old 02-13-2013, 12:37 PM
superglide09bill
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 2009 fxdc 30.000 miles, changed the drive belt & swingarm bearing. went to put the clutch hub back on & it's just like the photo. Also primary chain has worn against inner & outer primary cases at some point??? A few flakes of metal on the drain plug at 10.000 mile primary oil change but none at 20,000. I guess this has happened because the automatic chain tensioner is not correctly tensioning the chain until it's running. On initial start-up an excess of chain runs over the compensator sprocket catching the casings!!!! Clymer manual says to file off rough edges on broken splines. Dealer says clymer manuals are old school and just to keep the bike running. Dealer says only a new part would be fitted if they ever came accross this problem but they've never seen one...................lol basically the design is flawed & when it all goes wrong I'm going to run an open belt...........or buy a honda

Old 02-13-2013, 03:50 PM
troop8520
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! This is bad news all around.... I'd like to know how many actually have this problem, and what can be done to correct the issue!

The following users liked this post:
5ft2 Giant (10-23-2019)
Old 02-13-2013, 04:20 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My experience with the stock hub on my 05 was the fit was very sloppy. I could have thrown it across the garage and it would have went on. The hub on my Bandit clutch was a completely different fit. It was supplied with lube and you had to work at it to get it to line up and once it did it slid on with a nice tight fit. The hub is also longer and has a taper on the back of it to mate with the taper on the tranny shaft.

Rick

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Damaged clutch hub splines?