Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damaged clutch hub splines?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 01:27 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,958 Likes on 1,712 Posts

How’s the Baker comp working for you?

Old 02-10-2018, 01:53 PM
Awful Allen
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Love it! smooth as silk! Stock one was loose and jerky.... I know some of my buddies have started to just shim the stock ones tighter with success! But I think the Baker is better overall. better springs and ramps.....

Old 02-10-2018, 04:58 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Crap..8 year old post. Least I am pretty good at saying what I said while back

Seen that on my 04 and numerous times on here.
I think the part is a close quality powder steel investment casting that requires little finial material removeal in machining. After machining, it goes through a heat treatment process to harden it. When they quench it in oil after removing from the oven, that edge area is so hard, it cracks.
If the only problem is that edge and you have 80% of the spline. Slide it on and make sure you have no shake in the fit. It will be fine.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-10-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:24 PM
Awful Allen
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

RIPSAW I thought the same originally, but after taking the inner hub apart I don't think it is....the reason is the way it goes together. The out side of the hub is held tight by the washer being pinched between the end of the shaft and the nut. This creates force points at the washer contact point and the first 3/8" or so of the inside splines of the hub, kind of a shimmy effect.... simply put I don't think enough of the shaft splines are in contact with the hub, so they shear.. I think the after market hubs are slightly wider and create more clamping force between the hub nut and bearing race on back side, which creates a flat pull on the hub against the shaft as opposed to the side pull of stock... side pull because primary chain doesn't pull from center of hub which creates load on back side (inner side) which is transfered to the first 3/8" or so of the spline instead of the whole spline....but just my opinion on it....Ride Safe!

Old 03-24-2018, 06:19 PM
TwystdMe
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ran across this tread, just found the same problem with my 08 Ultra

Old 03-24-2018, 11:33 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Just ran across this Thread,,,

'Had the same problem on the '05 SEEG, bone stock at 64k miles,,, no symptoms,,, discovered while upgrading stator,,,

Old 03-25-2018, 07:17 AM
TwystdMe
Stage III

Upgrading to a Baker comp, that is when I seen it. Looks as if it has been an issue for quite sometime.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:25 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwystdMe
Upgrading to a Baker comp, that is when I seen it. Looks as if it has been an issue for quite sometime.
By any chance did you also find any rub marks on the inner primary where it had rubbed/hit the inner primary?

Old 03-25-2018, 07:31 AM
TwystdMe
Stage III

Originally Posted by dawg
By any chance did you also find any rub marks on the inner primary where it had rubbed/hit the inner primary?
Not that I noticed, but will be taking a better look

Old 03-25-2018, 08:07 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwystdMe
Not that I noticed, but will be taking a better look
Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
.....chain tension, if it is too tight it will pull on the clutch putting the ring gear on an angle. Then the jack shaft will have a hard time engaging. You may be able to see evidence of this on the inner primary. There will be a witness mark behind the ring gear between 8 and 10 o'clock where the ring gear has been rubbing on the inner primary.
I believe the chain tensioner has been a contributing factor to inner primary bearing failures, hub splines breaking and compensator issues.

Quick Reply: Damaged clutch hub splines?