Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a Power commander anything on an '08?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:04 AM
Springerfan
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Will a Power commander anything on an '08?

I am considering a power commander. I had one on my last bike, an '05, which seemed to make a difference in the way it ran. My question is, I now have an '08 Street Glide with an S&S air cleaner and Rinehart slip ons. These two mods made a substantial difference in the "seat of the pants" feel of the bike. I have heard that '08 and newer ecm's adapt to what ever changes are made in A/F ratios by components and a Power Commander will not do much for me. Any thoughts or expiriences?

Old 03-02-2010, 08:16 AM
myy2khog
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool Power Commander

If you didn't do anything to add more fuel after opening up the intake and exhaust, you are running extremely lean and will probably damage your engine in the long run. A PC-V from FuelMoto would help with this and make the bike run cooler.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:17 AM
TheDon81
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am no expert but from my understanding is that stock HD's are lean from the factory, even if your ECM does correct the A/F ratio they will still be lean and the PC can richen this up to give you some more power and cooler.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Springerfan
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by myy2khog
If you didn't do anything to add more fuel after opening up the intake and exhaust, you are running extremely lean and will probably damage your engine in the long run. A PC-V from FuelMoto would help with this and make the bike run cooler.
This is my point. It is my understanding that the "learning" mode of the ECM on '08s and newer will adjust the A/F ratio to bring it back to the factory set specs and what ever mods are made it (the ECM) will adjust to bring it back to these specs. If this is the case can the Power Commander override the ECM to change the specs?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:16 AM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Springerfan
This is my point. It is my understanding that the "learning" mode of the ECM on '08s and newer will adjust the A/F ratio to bring it back to the factory set specs and what ever mods are made it (the ECM) will adjust to bring it back to these specs. If this is the case can the Power Commander override the ECM to change the specs?
When you install the PCV, you also install the 02 sensor eliminators to the factory harness and your 02 sensors are unplugged. The map which factors your unique combination does indeed benefit performance and provides a cooler running engine. Down the road, after you save some more lunch money, you can add the autotune feature which provides wide band 02 sensors. I've got that setup on mine and it runs amazing.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:31 AM
pawpaw01
Intermediate

Springer, I added a K&N FuelPak with my stage 1 upgrades (08 FXSTC), it cools down the engine a bit and does noticably help performance. I do admit there are better fuel management systems out there though...
Mongo, have you experienced a drop in overall fuel mileage from adding the PCV w/AT? I have been researching this setup as a possible fuel management replacement upgrade to my current FuelPak.
Remember, Ride Safe...

Old 03-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Springerfan
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mongomark
When you install the PCV, you also install the 02 sensor eliminators to the factory harness and your 02 sensors are unplugged. The map which factors your unique combination does indeed benefit performance and provides a cooler running engine. Down the road, after you save some more lunch money, you can add the autotune feature which provides wide band 02 sensors. I've got that setup on mine and it runs amazing.
Ok, this is making some sense to me. The 02 sensor eliminators are used to trick the ECM. So a PCV by itself would not do anything you need the 02 sensors, either eliminators or modified, to send information that would get the ECM to send more fuel. Am I on the right track?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:51 AM
rkrdr2
Advanced

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...fuel-moto.html

Fuel Moto just posted a great review on the new Thunder Max Auto tune for '08 and up bikes with TBW you might want to read.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I am considering a power commander. I had one on my last bike, an '05, which seemed to make a difference in the way it ran. My question is, I now have an '08 Street Glide with an S&S air cleaner and Rinehart slip ons. These two mods made a substantial difference in the "seat of the pants" feel of the bike. I have heard that '08 and newer ecm's adapt to what ever changes are made in A/F ratios by components and a Power Commander will not do much for me. Any thoughts or expiriences?
Just testin the water to see if my reply will even post.

I had to quote the OP to get my reply to post but it finally did so here goes:

A Power Commander will make a big difference as will several other ECM tuners. The stock ECM cannot optimize for the mods you have made - it can only adjust so far and you have exceeded it's limits.
You will understand more if you take advantage of this forum as well as Fuel Moto and www.nightrider.com
Do some research and you'll start to understand the HD EFI system.

Last edited by Leftcoaster; 03-02-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My experience is I did a lot of research and found that the stock ECM will not adapt for both AF and exhaust changes. I had my Dealer do the Stage1 Download that flash's the ECM to adjust for the mods. I could tell the difference in throttle response. I'm waiting now for hot weather to see how it will run in the heat and see how hot it will be on the rider and passenger. If I could go back and do it again, I would have installed the package from FuelMoto.

Quick Reply: Will a Power commander anything on an '08?